Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectMaybe someone more informed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=149243&mesg_id=149266
149266, Maybe someone more informed
Posted by lakai336, Wed Mar-30-11 05:20 PM
can tell me why this doesn't work, 'cause I'm not pretending to be an expert on this subject.

Why don't they all go the "In Rainbows" route and allow people to pay what they want for it. Set up some kind of donation link, put it in your official website or whatever so people know it's authentic and the money goes to the artist, then allow people to pay if they wish.

Granted I understand how in the early days, you gotta build up a fan base. I don't think people would've shelled out cash for Currensy's mixtapes during his just-getting-big run. By the time we reached Pilot Talk though, I think enough people honestly liked his music enough/respected him enough to pay for it.

I was listening to the latest K.R.I.T. (It really is official release good and not just another "come check me out" kind of free release) and thought "you know, if he had a link up to pay for it? I'd be willing to pay $5-$10 directly to him as a "thank you" or "good work" for this album.

Granted, I know this relies HEAVILY on people's generosity (and to some extent my young generation feels entitled to free entertainment) and willingness to spare a couple bucks if they really like something.

It does address some issues though. I mean if people are worried about getting ripped off when they buy an album without hearing it (Yes, I know in these internet days it's easy to stream before purchasing) then this way they wouldn't worry about it. They would listen, and if they felt that album was a worthy work of art, they might be willing to pay what they can afford just to say "good work brother" or "I support this" or whatever.

Thoughts?