Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: Im curious. what have you heard?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=149020&mesg_id=149141
149141, RE: Im curious. what have you heard?
Posted by gatsbythegreat, Thu Feb-17-11 05:06 PM
I started with the tracks that were recommended on a thread on here, Assmilk & VCR and a few others. I didn't like any of em but it was clear they were on some different shit, and I like anybody trying to push the envelope, so I figured I'd keep an eye out for more shit. Then I checked the video for Yonkers, which is a dope video, but I'd never bump the song. Then I checked Earl Sweatshirt's "Earl' album and Tyler's "Bastard' album. Bastard started out mildly promising, the first track is really the only track I've heard by OF that had any hint of any kind of personal shit. From there the album went downhill. I can't say I like any of the beats I've heard, and while Earl has some nice mic skills, and the beats on his album are better than the amateurish sounding beats on Tyler's shit, Earl's album still came off lackluster to me.

I understand why everybody is feeling the vibe of their shit. It's youthful and not-formulaic, they stand out in a sea of mediocre cookie-cutter artists. But as emcees and producers, I can't say I heard some classic track or dope album or insane verse yet. Great performance, but I don't get the hype beyond that.