Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectBuilding A PC-Based Recording Studio
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=14598
14598, Building A PC-Based Recording Studio
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Mon Jun-09-03 09:19 AM
We have the PC (1 ghz, 40 Gig Hardrive, etc).

We need a soundcard (8 outputs), a platform to sample, create and mixdown on, mics and headphones.

Our budget's about 1,000-1,500 or so. Help us out. Give suggestions/tutorials/links...anything.
14599, RE: Building A PC-Based Recording Studio
Posted by illa, Mon Jun-09-03 09:27 AM
go to Kazza and get Fruity Loops 3.56 or Fruity Loops 4, Logic Audio 5.0, Reason 2.0. Get you a good codensor mic and pad you're studio up. You got tha dream PC studio and you could add you a sound module or keyboard to that. Make sure you record everything into logic, and you get sound quality like this www.soundclick.com/beatfanatikrecords or www.soundclick.com/thabeatfanatiks.

Peace
14600, RE: Building A PC-Based Recording Studio
Posted by docIllenstein, Mon Jun-09-03 04:50 PM
fruity loops is cheap as shit and has lifetime upgrades. don't be a bitch. go buy it for $99.
14601, RE: Building A PC-Based Recording Studio
Posted by Nicolay, Mon Jun-09-03 09:28 AM
1) The Creative Labs Soundblaster soundcard will do for the "beginner. The Platinum version comes with a breakout-box, but if you're talking pro-level (aka pretentious sons-of-bitches like me), go with the Terratec EWS88 soundcard including 8 ins, 8 outs and MIDI interface (whatever the hell that's good for we'll never know). Sets you back around 300 bucks.
2) Headphones. I got the AKG Gold Series that a friend of mine "accidently" left at my house. Hence I don't know the costs. Good thing, though.
3) Monitoring. Usually I'm lazy and (oops! Here we go again) I mix on my computer speakers. Get some good ones though cause that's half the job.
4) You don't need me to tell you you can get all software anywhere for jack shizzit if you know where to look. DISCLAIMER: Yes sirs, of course I bought them.

Nicolay

|

Jamming your radar in 2003:

FOREIGN EXCHANGE (Phonte & Nicolay) - "Connected"
NICOLAY - "City Lights" hosted by LUNCHBOX
JUSTUS LEAGUE - "Mixtape Volume I: NC State Of Mind"

14602, RE: Mic and soundproofing?
Posted by Sponge, Mon Jun-09-03 11:59 AM
What mic do you recommend?

And do you have your home studio soundproofed?

Is it true LB recorded their vocals in their apartment with no soundproofing?
14603, i use...
Posted by Kayper, Mon Jun-09-03 12:40 PM
i use an Audio Technica AT-4033...i paid around $350 for it...

i recorded all of my vocals in my apartment(s) <--- philly, ny and LA

with no soundproofing...i used to get 3 or 4 thick blankets and hang them from the ceiling to help with the sound...but a good mic will cancel out a lot of the room sounds and if you have a decent pre-amp (i use the dbx 376) then you can get good sound...

click the link in my signature and listen to "silent symphony" i recorded that in my spare bedroom with no sound proofing at all...not even blankets...
14604, silent symphony is dope kayp
Posted by haji rana pinya, Mon Jun-09-03 12:44 PM
real nice
14605, RE: Thanks!
Posted by Sponge, Mon Jun-09-03 04:44 PM
...for the info.

I will take a listen on your track.
14606, RE: Mic and soundproofing?
Posted by Nicolay, Tue Jun-10-03 01:53 AM
>What mic do you recommend?

SM58

>And do you have your home studio soundproofed?

The neighbours don't seem to think so (aka no)

>Is it true LB recorded their vocals in their apartment with
>no soundproofing?

Don't believe the hype, but I heard they was on some "Everybody quiet, recording vocals NOW!" shit during The Listening.

Nicolay

|

14607, RE: Mixing on headphones?
Posted by Sponge, Tue Jun-10-03 11:33 AM
How do you hook up headphones to the PC? I ask because I want to work on Fruity/Cool Edit on headphones, but the only headphone jack is connected to the CD drive. So, the headphones are only for the CD drive, so I can't hear what I'm working on through the headphones.

>>Is it true LB recorded their vocals in their apartment with
>>no soundproofing?
>
>Don't believe the hype, but I heard they was on some
>"Everybody quiet, recording vocals NOW!" shit during The
>Listening.

I was wondering because I read they did that "everybody quiet" thing, but on the cd it says vocals were recorded at a studio.

Anyways, thanks for your help on dropping what mic u use.
---------------------------------
14608, did you mix City Lights using your PC speakers?
Posted by Kalibur, Tue Jun-10-03 01:58 AM
If so, daaaaaaayum your ear is good.
14609, 50-50
Posted by Nicolay, Tue Jun-10-03 01:59 AM
Half on the headphones, and half on the computer speakers 'cause I wasn't gonna get into no trouble with the neighbours anymore.

Nicolay

|

14610, what kinda mu'fuckin computer speakers you got dog?
Posted by Kayper, Tue Jun-10-03 05:30 AM
dayum...

you mixed that whole shit in headphones and on computer speakers?

i need to go to that music school you went to dog...

that's wild...that shit sounds like you mixed it at Electric Lady with Bob Power as your 2nd engineer....
14611, IBM sometums sometums
Posted by Nicolay, Tue Jun-10-03 06:04 AM
Nicolay

|

14612, everything you need here
Posted by buildingblock, Mon Jun-09-03 12:04 PM
http://www.tweakheadz.com/tweaking_your_music_computer.html

excellent articles and links

14613, UP!!!
Posted by Truancy, Mon Jun-09-03 01:42 PM
I'm also interested in building a computer for audio production/editing.

I know that I want probably 100 gb, 512 ram, about 2 ghz but am wondering what sound cards I should get, what the best video card is for a cheap price, what kind of motherboard to get, etc.
14614, RE: Those articles are dope
Posted by pookjenkins, Mon Jun-09-03 02:09 PM
Check this site for motherboard chipst combos

http://www.tigerdirect.com/index.asp
14615, RE: Those articles are dope
Posted by Truancy, Mon Jun-09-03 02:12 PM
I know NOTHING about motherboards so I don't know what to look for.

Treat me like a baby, because I have the least bit of knowledge on computer hardware, just good with the software and using it.
14616, RE: UP!!!
Posted by kay of the foundation, Mon Jun-09-03 04:11 PM
>I'm also interested in building a computer for audio
>production/editing.
>
>I know that I want probably 100 gb, 512 ram, about 2 ghz but
>am wondering what sound cards I should get, what the best
>video card is for a cheap price, what kind of motherboard to
>get, etc.
Soyo mobos are tight

kt 333 chipset does well for me..

Digi 001 is the shit. O latency monitoring, compatible with most major studios. Pro Tools is very user friendly.

ATI video cards are tight...

Nicolay is right about the AKG mic. C414 is a very clean transparent mic. Just get a tight mic pre.

Holla

Kay
14617, keep it on the budget
Posted by docIllenstein, Mon Jun-09-03 04:57 PM
I just built one for a friend.

digi 002 at the heart
SB audigy for extra little stuff
abit RAID mobo
p4 2.8
1024mb ram
dual 120 gig drives on the RAID channel

the abit board is the best because of its softBios. you can overclock and save yourself some cash if you know what you're doing.
14618, good post.
Posted by Aeon, Mon Jun-09-03 05:01 PM
i use cubase sx and various vst instruments and effects. if that sounds like greek to you, trust that i understand, i was in the same boat 5 months ago.

and, my man, there are places to go where you can get lots of free stuff. my man nic hinted at it. you could save all that bank for hardware.

hit up my inbox and i'll hip you to it.
14619, PC Production is for bitches!
Posted by Obsidian_Blue, Mon Jun-09-03 05:59 PM
Well, that what I was told. Also, if you don't sample from vinyl, you're not real.

NOW.......

As far as specs go......

Memory: Most anything above 128mb is cool. I just recently upgraded to 512mb, so Sound Forge is flowing like a feather in the wind. But of course, this isn't the main factor......

Motherboard: www.motherboards.org for starters. This site rates motherboard of all kinds. A decent site for specs, speeds, and reliability ratings. A strong motherboard is essential, considering that you don't want your system to crash in the middle of mixing a song. Can't go wrong with ABit, ASUS, and Giga-byte......

Oh yes, it's not recomended that you go out to buy the top of the line motherboard right off the bat. The older, time tested material is a better bet because all the kinks have been worked out of them through out the 7 months that they've been on the market. For instance, instead of getting a KT400 chipset, a KT333 or KT266 chipset would work just fine as a fraction of the price. Follow me? Maybe?

Processor: You can't go wrong with either Intel Or AMD; Although AMD processors aren't as fast as Intel processors, the systems that AMD CPU'S are built upon are just as fast and sometime faster than Pentium systems, at a fraction of the price. Also, AMD CPU'S are more multimedia minded than Intel (Yeah, I rock and Athlon XP Dammit!)

I would recomend for starters(at the least)....

1 GHz CPU
256 mb DDR RAM
7200 RPM Hard Drive, At least 80 gb
Soundblaster Live card or above

The video card isn't that important in comparison to audio, but I'd get a 32mb card just because......

Motherboards are up to your discrection, considering which CPU you go with. Research is key, just in case you would like to know a little something about what you pay for. www.pricewatch.com is a good place to start as far as prices go....

If you want to know more, visit your local library to read books on the same subject......
14620, UP AND THANKS
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Tue Jun-10-03 01:29 AM

14621, don't let it drop!
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Tue Jun-10-03 04:04 AM

14622, get at lek.
Posted by naija, Tue Jun-10-03 04:05 AM
.oh, ima get back at you later today about the chi shit.
14623, separate this joint into Professional and Free.
Posted by poetx, Tue Jun-10-03 05:16 AM
and by free, i mean actually freeware stuff that's out there that's decent, we all know that we can cop certain things for free on certain applications that start with a k, end with a 'lite' and have an 'azaa' in the middle.

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike
14624, Any tips for a Mac starter set up...
Posted by shoe_raider, Tue Jun-10-03 06:22 AM
i got a powerbook, 1200's and Protools and theres an audio input in the computer...

What else do i need and whats the order of operations in sampling to put together a beat...
14625, Up n/m
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Tue Jun-10-03 11:18 AM

14626, Anybody mentioned the new Motu interface?
Posted by listenandfeel, Tue Jun-10-03 11:34 AM
http://www.motu.com/english/motuaudio/828/body.html
... is pretty incredible, even functions as a standalone mixer if necessary! The original Motu 828 was a standard piece of kit every pro producer I know has. *shrugs*
You need firewire on your PC tho...

or, Yamaha 01x coming in a couple of months if you can wait
http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/01x/feat1.html
again connects to the PC via firewire...

other truly good cards are the RME Hammerfall and the Digidesign Digi 001
14627, Hmmmmmmmm
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 02:13 AM
No one seems to have asked this question but...Why do you need 8 outputs? What type of music will you be doing. Even if you meant 8 inputs that seems like a bit much for an all PC based production. (Turntable 2 inputs, Mic 1 input.)
I also agree with the cat who said to PURCHASE your fruity loops... the upgrades and tech support make it worth the money. And stealiing it when it only cost 99 bucks seems like such a ho move. But then lol I dont use Fruity Loops.

As for the PC I would goto audio related sites like audioforums.com, or musicgearnetwork.com forums and ask about current mobo and chip combos that have specific advantage for computers. Juat going on a site like Tom's hardware.com or some other tech website to get mobo info wont cut it. There are certian AUDIO related capabilites that you want to be able to take advantage of. I frequent prorec.com when I need to know about the latest. Chipsets are verrrrrrry important when building a PC. Dont buy cheap shitty componets!!!! Your computer will crash. WinXP PRO is the most stable by far. Win98se is easier to use and has more working drivers available for it.

Soundcards: Your reqirements make it hard. STA Audio C-Port. Same converters and drivers as the M-Audio Delta 1010 but cheaper. Delta 1010lt has the same converters as the Delta 44/66 series but has 10 inputs and outputs. Apparently the Asrdvark Q10 still has driver issues with WinXP that its trying to work out. RME Multiface would be the best way to go converter wise on your budget but it will eat up most of your cash. Other choices would include the ESI Waveterminal M or X 4 input 8 out and 2 input 8 out respectively with 192khz converters (if that even matters at such a inexpensive price point). If you can deal with 4 inputs/outputs then the Delta Omni Stuido has excellent preamps for the money with its soundcard.

Speaking of preamps. Get one. If your soundcard has decent ones cool. (Most dont) If not....M-Audio DMP-3 is very clean and excellent for the money. Presonus has a 1 ch deal for under a hundred. If it sounds like its 2 ch older brother....then just turn the tube drive crap all the way down and you will have a pretty clean sounding 2ch preamp for the money. Some people use the lil ART Tube MP. It has a tube in it also which I am not to quick to suggest a tube amp as your ONLY preamp. You can always add tube efx later with plugins.

Get some decent studio monitors: You could try the new Events or if you wanna go tried and true cop the PS8's. The M-Audio ones in theory alone are crap. (moving tweeter come on man.....lol who is gonna fall for that shit) I hear the Behringhers sound ooooo kay but again Behringher has a bad rep so enter at your own risk. You said computer based "studio" so this is why I suggest real monitors. If you had said home recording setup. Any cheap pr of monitors could have been suggested or even Nicolay's computer speaker idea. I am under the assumption that you are looking for a more professional setup. With stuff you can learn and keep for yrs to come...

Me? I would add about 500 more bucks to your budget and blow 1400 on the Mackie HR824 monitors get one of the aforementioned soundcards and a SM57 microphone. With that setup you know for a fact the montors you will grow into and probably be able to use for the next 10 yrs. SM57's a classic you will never throw it away either. Even if later you get a better vocal mic. You can use it on Snare drums, Guitar cabinets, toms, bongos etc...

All in all....if you are cheap with your music, your music will sound cheap. You could spend countless hrs trying to mix around the shortcomings of your setup, but WHY? Buy less stuff that costs more and get a basic setup that you wont want to upgrade in the next few yrs. And wont have you coming back to the forums asking questions like....."How do I make my vocals sound professional." "Why do my mixes sound like mud in the low end" "My mixes sound great on my Terbocrumpus 1.4 home stereo speakers...but when my friend plays the CD it sounds like crud! Help!!!" If you are gonna spend money...be smart with your purchases. And whatever you end up buying...dont fiddle around with the tech shit too much...have fun and make dope music.

Peace,
Natural Born
------------------------------
Music for ya next project?
Want to hear uncompromising independent hip-hop?
Goto http://www.sonofsoulmusic.com
http://www.truthuniversal.com
http://www.precisehero.com

14628, 8 outputs
Posted by Nicolay, Wed Jun-11-03 02:31 AM
How about board based mixing?

Nicolay

|

14629, RE: 8 outputs
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 05:21 AM
>How about board based mixing?
>
>Nicolay

I didnt say it was impossible to need 8 outputs...but I asked why he needed em. Just trying to clarify his needs....so that the responses can be better tailored to them. For instance....if he is going to mix externally (why he would with a $1500 budget is beyond me)and has an okay board (Mackie, Soundcraft) then the preamps I mentioned would not be necessary...etc, etc...

And so the question remains why 8 outputs? More often than not people need 8 inputs. His needs my be different than most tho.

(Really though...unless he has a serious board unlike the aforementioned ones...it would be pretty much a waste of convienence to mix outside the computer. You would lose instant recall on your settings and the sound quality would more likely go down instead of up.)

Peace,
Natural Born

14630, But it looks dope on studio pictures
Posted by Nicolay, Wed Jun-11-03 06:17 AM
Nicolay

|

14631, Ummmmmmmmmmmmm
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 08:26 AM
R-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghttt. Good weed out there in the Netherreigions I see. I will let you spend YOUR cash on looking dope...lol.

But seriously...I had an idea of adding a digital mixer with flying faders into my setup so that I could impress potential clients.... I was gonna hook dummy wires into it....that were not really connected to anything. When people come to the spot....music would be playing and I would have the faders moving up and down sporadically to the beat....hahaha. During mixing I was gonna turn a knob or two just for effect...or maybe via midi have it control some volume sliders in a software program. All of this in a plot to charge more money. Muuuuuuuwwwwahahahahahahaahaha!!!!!
Of course I couldnt go through with it....and yes I am diabolical...like Biz Markie.

Peace,
Natural Born

14632, Exactly, man
Posted by Nicolay, Wed Jun-11-03 08:02 PM
Ain't no business like showbusiness

On a serious note, I never mix outside the comp but some people swear by it

Nicolay

|

14633, RE: Hmmmmmmmm
Posted by listenandfeel, Thu Jun-12-03 06:23 AM
a biig reason for 8 outputs is that no matter what you're doing at home there may very well come a time where you have the opprotunity to take your computer to someone elses studio, equipped with genelec monitors, neve console, and lots of lovely outboard stuff...

8 in 8 out is just flexible,, if at home you only use stereo out that's cool, but when it comes to mastering you might do that somewhere else.
14634, RE: Hmmmmmmmm
Posted by Son Of Soul, Thu Jun-12-03 02:09 PM
>a biig reason for 8 outputs is that no matter what you're
>doing at home there may very well come a time where you have
>the opprotunity to take your computer to someone elses
>studio, equipped with genelec monitors, neve console, and
>lots of lovely outboard stuff...

First up.....as I was saying to Nicolay. The question wasnt why would someone want 8 outs.... it was why did Wise have it as one of his requirements. He seemed to be a bit unsure of what he needed over all....I wanted to make sure he was requesting something he would actually make use of. Simple as that...some people know what they need...some people think they do and may be a bit off center. I was just trying to help a brotha by having him clarify his needs.

Now as for taking your computer to a studio?
Riiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhhhhht. Who is gonna do that ish bruh? Most home recordists know that they can bring a SCSI/Firewire/IDE Mac formatted/PC formatted Hard Drive, or a friggin CDR and transfer files to Protools, Nuendo, or RADAR in the majority of studios. Unless your puter soundcard has equal or better converters than the Protools HD, Apogee or Mytek that you are likely to encounter in a commercial studio.....its best you leave your puter at home let them do the conversion. Your mixes will thank you. Even if going to tape....its still better to let the studio handle your conversion. The simple fact is.... their converters will likely be better than yours.

>8 in 8 out is just flexible,, if at home you only use stereo
>out that's cool, but when it comes to mastering you might do
>that somewhere else.

Mastering? Again bruh... where are you getting this from? None of the mastering engineers I know prefer a multitrack project to work on. The mastering engineer usually gets a stereo file not overly compressed or limited. 24bit on cd/Hdrive or 2 inch tape if possible. And they definately prefer you leave the multitrack mixing to the mix engineer. Some usually can accept multitrack masters(?), but that by FAR is not the standard accepted practice. (Radio edits from a cost perspective should be done in the studio before mastering. Its just cheaper...)

Your arguments for 8 outs are really too non-standard to really be taken seriously. Nicolay's outboard mixer concept was much more solid and way more practical as a reason to spend the extra cash. From a cost/benefit standpoint.

And again......the 8 out question was for Wise.

Peace,
Natural Born

14635, RE: Hmmmmmmmm
Posted by listenandfeel, Thu Jun-12-03 02:25 PM
That was a long reply :)

Anyway...

>Now as for taking your computer to a studio?
>Riiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhhhhht. Who is gonna do that ish bruh?

I know pros that do... bring their shiny titanium G4s running Logic in and out of the studio. People who's music you may have bought...

Let me be clearer in terms tho because when I said Mastering I didn't mean to the cut, I meant pre the cut, that CD or DAT that you take from the studio to get your master disk made from. That's all...
14636, archive
Posted by Allah, Wed Jun-11-03 03:12 AM
14637, exactly
Posted by bluetiger, Wed Jun-11-03 03:15 AM
and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

14638, RE: Throw ya boy a bone
Posted by pookjenkins, Wed Jun-11-03 05:43 AM
Ok, I'm ready to step up the game.Presently I have-

PIII computer 733mhz(soon to be upgraded)
256k RAM
Delta 66 sound card
Fruity loops 4.0
Reason
Soundforge
Acid 4.0
a multitude of plug-ins
Midiman USB-Midi box.

I want to incorporate my sampler(ASR-10) into the mix. Should I go with Sonar or Cubase sx as a sequencer?
14639, RE: Throw ya boy a bone
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 08:18 AM
Why not use Acid 4.0 or Fruity Loops...lol. You have enough right now to incorporate the ASR.

Of the two you are considering tho, Sonar is the easiest to use and does a really good job with midi. Cubase is perhaps more midi comprehensive but then with that comes a bigger learning curve. If you are not doing all out keyboard compositions and Cubase is perhaps overkill.

Peace
Natural Born

14640, RE: Throw ya boy a bone
Posted by pookjenkins, Wed Jun-11-03 10:05 AM
>Why not use Acid 4.0 or Fruity Loops...lol. You have enough
>right now to incorporate the ASR.
I don't like Acid. And I haven't got Fruity loops down packed. I want something easy to just throw the loop in chop the drum and let me throw some vox on top.
>
>Of the two you are considering tho, Sonar is the easiest to
>use and does a really good job with midi. Cubase is perhaps
>more midi comprehensive but then with that comes a bigger
>learning curve. If you are not doing all out keyboard
>compositions and Cubase is perhaps overkill.
>
>Peace
>Natural Born
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>Music for ya next project?
>Want to hear uncompromising independent hip-hop?
>Goto http://www.sonofsoulmusic.com
>http://www.truthuniversal.com
>http://www.precisehero.com

14641, up
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 07:46 AM

14642, To be more specific.
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 08:42 AM
...ok, we're used to using an ASR-10, 16 track Mackie board type combo...real basement-like. Before we got the ADAT, we were even tracking vocals on an 8-track Tascam (which I still prefer).

Now we want to go totally digital (plus our DJ/producer is this big time born again and only wants to do gospel). We have the PC and that amont of loot...we want to capture the sound we've been doing...

We're used to samples and putting a beat over the loop...chops and breaks and all that. IS that possible with all this new fandangled stuff ya'll talking about?
14643, Dude
Posted by Ape Redwood, Wed Jun-11-03 08:47 AM
Go with Cool Edit Pro and a MIDI keyboard/sampler. Thats all you really need. People sleep on Cool Edit. Its got great effects and nice warm sound to it.
14644, So I still need a sampler then...
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 08:49 AM
...and that's ALL I'll need? I need to e-mail you...

How about I STILL haven't gotten paid.
14645, RE: So I still need a sampler then...
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 08:56 AM
No you really dont need a sampler for what you are trying to do. Dont believe the hype..... If you buy a midi controller you can do a lot more than just loop samples....but you can loop and chop samples without one.

14646, Dunce Cap=MIDI Controller?
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 08:59 AM
explain if you can...IN LAYMAN'S TERMS
14647, RE: Dunce Cap=MIDI Controller?
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 09:39 AM
Basically its a keyboard with no sounds. It sends out electronic (midi) messages to either your puter or rackmount sampler/keyboard module, to trigger sounds. If you had the ASR 10 you may remember the ASR10 rackmount version that came without a keyboard. A midi controller would be the keyboard that triggers the sounds from the box.

To do what you asked about above tho...I stress again, you dont need one. If you actually want to play out full compositions and/or layer real keyboard sounds with your samples then it would come into play. Regualr sample chopping.....nahhhh it isnt necessary.

14648, well...if you wanna chop samples
Posted by Ape Redwood, Wed Jun-11-03 10:50 AM
it'll be a lot easier with either a sampler or a keyboard. But it can be done on Cool Edit Pro alone.

Email me, man, Id like to send you some music. They still owe me A LOT of money. I'm really sorry for dragging you, as well as a bunch of other people, into their bullshit. I had no clue.
14649, RE: well...if you wanna chop samples
Posted by JustMe, Wed Jun-11-03 05:42 PM
chopping samples on a sampler or keyboard is easier? yeah ok sure with magnifying glasses maybe. i would say the main thing a pc has over a sampler is the easiness of chopping up samples
14650, well...
Posted by Ape Redwood, Thu Jun-12-03 06:51 AM
its easier to do the actual chopping on a PC but its harder to play them out naturally without a keyboard. You either place the samples into a grid (ala Fruity Loops and Audio Mulch), which eliminates any human-ness or natural swing, or physically place the wave forms where you want them with a mouse. To me, both of these methods are inferior to chopping the samples on a PC and then playing/sequencing the chops out on a keyboard/sampler.
14651, RE: To be more specific.
Posted by Son Of Soul, Wed Jun-11-03 08:55 AM
Yes. You could do it with out spending more than a couple of hundred dollars.... or depending on how much quality you want....you can spend more and have better quailty mixes if your skills can utilize the equipment properly.

14652, SO I Don't need a sampler unit?
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 09:26 AM

14653, Computer can do all that
Posted by Nicolay, Wed Jun-11-03 08:03 PM
Nicolay

|

14654, This can't die...archive mode
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Wed Jun-11-03 04:43 PM

14655, check these links
Posted by krewcial, Wed Jun-11-03 11:06 PM
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/sep00/articles/desktop.htm
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/Jan02/articles/pcmusician0102.asp
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/mar98/articles/pcguide.html
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/Dec01/articles/aardvarkq10.asp
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jul01/articles/pcmusician0701.asp
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/mar99/articles/24bitrec.htm
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/feb99/articles/motu2408.654.htm
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jan99/articles/pctweaks917.htm
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jul98/articles/recordingopt1.html
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jun99/articles/20tips.htm
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/Nov01/articles/computervocals.asp

These are just a few ... go to http://www.sospubs.co.uk/ and use the search function for more info. Any question you have is somewhere in their archive, and you can always use the forum there if you need more feedback.

krewcial
|
14656, Let's Get This Archived n/m
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Thu Jun-12-03 01:30 AM

14657, up
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Thu Jun-12-03 04:46 AM

14658, Electronic Musician magazine
Posted by afropuff, Thu Jun-12-03 05:06 AM
http://www.emusician.com/

where i used to work....
14659, RE: Building A PC-Based Recording Studio
Posted by JayCee7, Thu Jun-12-03 06:18 AM
i've been reading this post for the past couple of days, and it got me real interested in the reason software. i downloaded the demo and it was hot, so i was wondering if someone could tell me more about it? let me hear some of their work on it? tell me what refill packets they have? and whatever else.
14660, Reason advice...
Posted by tREBLEFREE, Thu Jun-12-03 12:43 PM
>i've been reading this post for the past couple of days, and
>it got me real interested in the reason software. i
>downloaded the demo and it was hot, so i was wondering if
>someone could tell me more about it?

Reason is a NICE program - especially when you input your own sounds and loops.

I use 1.0 (because I'm a dinosaur), but 2.0 is out there.

>let me hear some of their work on it?

Click my name - 70% of my beats are made using Reason for drum sequencing. I'm JUST getting comfortable enough to do the whole track in Reason, but that's due to my OWN ignorance of how to work all the shit within Reason.

>tell me what refill packets they have?
>and whatever else.

Refills are for cats who don't wanna make their own sounds - That's just my personal opinion however. The basic Refill that comes with Reason has some great cymbals and percussion things in it that I use, but for the most part, I use my own sounds.
14661, It gotta be front page
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Thu Jun-12-03 08:00 AM

14662, VON! ARCHIVE IT
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Thu Jun-12-03 09:07 AM

14663, "Gold, Jerry. Gold!"
Posted by IronChef, Thu Jun-12-03 09:19 AM
"Do you think people will be
using napkins in the year
2000, or is this mouth vacuum
thing for real?" - Kramer
14664, UP!
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Fri Jun-13-03 01:01 AM