Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectIt's still a hip hop/RnB centric board
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=142289&mesg_id=142304
142304, It's still a hip hop/RnB centric board
Posted by MothershipConnection, Wed Jan-21-09 12:26 PM
The expertise in this board still lies mostly there. There's only so many people in real life whose taste in music I really trust, and I don't see why it wouldn't be the same here. You're much more likely to get really in depth discussion about hip hop or RnB topics than anything else. Most rock posts here tend to devolve into a couple people who really know their shit and then a bunch of people just going off Pitchfork/what's hot at the moment/whatever (plus a few race baiters on top of that). But most jazz posts here tend to be the same way (a couple of people who really know their shit and then a bunch of people bigging up Miles, who we all know is great, but doesn't need to be bigged up anymore). And I'm sure if you went to a rock board asking about hip hop, you'd probably get a couple people bigging up The Roots, a bunch of people who hate all rap, and like 2 dudes who actually knew shit.

There's definitely a small core of posters here who know their rock shit well (Hellberg for example, plus most of you in this post), and I'll definitely read and consider your opinions even if I don't totally agree, but for the most part the rock tastes in here are sort of an echo chamber for what's popular in the (indie rock) media.

>in fairness, i think a
>lot of people are still listening to 'in rainbows' and 'cookie
>mountain' but definitely overshot their praise for the arcade
>fire and modest mouse albums from 2007 unless people here want
>to speak up and disagree.
Oh those are hardly bad albums, in fact I think they are both solidly good. But based on the hype when they came out, you'd think they were the best thing since The Beatles. To be fair I like some of the "Lesson approved" stuff as well (I'm a shameless of Montreal fan), but I sorta hate Arcade Fire and was never huge on Modest Mouse.