Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectAndre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=14189
14189, Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by Menphyel7, Wed Jul-09-03 11:45 PM
well this is the new Andre 3000 single. This is some 87 prince shit. Sorta reminds me of BAllad of Dorthy Parker and it reminds me of she is always in my hair the ways he sings it.

well link:
http://www.musicresearch.com/ppanel/ml_player03.php
or
http://www.musicresearch.com/survey_audio/shelivesinmylap.ram

so far Outkast is 3 for 3 IMO. Hopefully after Big Boi drops church (I think thats the name of his real single) I won't listen to any new Kast til August 26th.

oh yeah here is a stream to Ghetto musicak without the DJ:
http://www.aristarec.com/media/outkast/audio/ghettomusick_32.ram
14190, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Thu Jul-10-03 12:34 AM
Very dope. Not like it was ever a question, but I'm even more hyped to be getting their album when it drops.
14191, one of my favorite groups ain't coming widdit
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 12:54 AM
This hurts. Finally a decent beat,(the Scarface and Volume 10 samples are tight as kcuf) but Andre got to pull a Cee Lo.

It's not a bad song. It's as tight, if not tighter than Pharell's Frontin.

But what happened to hip hop cats that RAP?

Is that too much to ask?

Does everything have to regress?
14192, RE: one of my favorite groups ain't coming widdit
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu Jul-10-03 01:15 AM
well I like both songs so far but I can see your complaints. My cousin and me was wondering why one of the best mcs ever dont' want to rap. I think hopefully on the album he will pull a return of the g, Gangasta shit, Red Velvet, Funking around, Aquemini,Synthezier out his ass. I use newer verses cause thats when the weirdness started and I"m showing you can be different but still bust a dope verse.
14193, k_orr please knock it off
Posted by nabi, Thu Jul-10-03 03:37 AM
cease and desist with all the gloom and doom naysayer jazz 'til you hear the whole thing.
14194, enabler
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 03:52 AM

14195, purist
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 04:01 AM

14196, why???
Posted by Shaun_G, Thu Jul-10-03 06:26 AM
How is it Hip-Hop if there's singing instead of rapping?

Shaun G.
14197, I'm not saying it's hip hop
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 06:35 AM
I'm just saying it's still very good.
14198, let's not confuse hip hop with good
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 09:33 AM
That's a major stumbling block most folks have.
14199, allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 09:34 AM
is it so bad that it's not hip hop? For you, I guess it is. For me, as long as they're still making good music, I don't mind that much if it's not hip hop (and you know Big Boi's half is gonna be hip hop). I have no problem with jumping/melding genres, as long as the product doesn't suffer as a result.
14200, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 09:41 AM
>is it so bad that it's not hip hop?

Yeah that's terrible.

Why do you think people rhyme in the 1st place?

More specifically, why do young black american males rhyme in the 1st place?

Before hip hop what were they doing?

Who were their role models?

Why do you think cats are so fucking afraid of Eminem?

c'mon potna, I'm giving you the truth, the reason, but I can't give you the answer.

one
k. orr

14201, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by Shaun_G, Thu Jul-10-03 10:31 AM
Whatever your opinion of it I don't think that cut is Hip-Hop in the first place.

IMO if the vocals on the record has only singing instead of rapping it's not Hip-Hop, regardless of the beat. Maybe you can call it "Hip-Hop Soul" like they like to call Mary J's music.

If the record is an instrumental there should be samples throughout the track. Unless you don't believe in instrumental Hip-Hop and like using that term "Trip-Hop" some people use.

There has to be an MC and/or DJ in there somewhere for it to be Hip-Hop.

Shaun G.

14202, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by okayyac, Thu Jul-10-03 10:41 AM
>Whatever your opinion of it I don't think that cut is
>Hip-Hop in the first place.
>
>IMO if the vocals on the record has only singing instead of
>rapping it's not Hip-Hop, regardless of the beat. Maybe
>you can call it "Hip-Hop Soul" like they like to call Mary
>J's music.
>
>If the record is an instrumental there should be samples
>throughout the track. Unless you don't believe in
>instrumental Hip-Hop and like using that term "Trip-Hop"
>some people use.
>
>There has to be an MC and/or DJ in there somewhere for it to
>be Hip-Hop.
>

LOL...I love when cats make this neat and tidy definition of hip-hop and how it should be and sound. So what if the new Kast isn't hip-hop anyway, should it matter? if they're putting out good music, are u really that closed-minded that you only want them to make hip-hop?

i'm gonna steal somethin from OKP Clark Kent who happens to hate me fiercely but made a great point- hip-hop was founded on breaking the rules. it doesn't have a strict definition...its whatever u want it to be.

14203, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by Shaun_G, Thu Jul-10-03 10:49 AM
Where did I say I didn't like Outkast?

I'm just defining what **I** think Hip-Hop music is.

Bruh, you best believe I'm going to be in line for Outkast on its release date.

It just rubs me the wrong way when people call songs like the one that started this thread Hip-Hop.

Shaun G. --- who actually like genre distinctions
14204, the question is...
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Jul-15-03 09:15 PM
what purpose does a definition serve? most words that have more or less accepted definition are useful because they help us communicate with others. but if you are just using your own defintion which really does not speak for a large segment of people who too use the term hip hop...then all you are doing is defining hip hop to yourself. and why would you need to define it to yourself? i am not trying to be an asshole, or nit picky but i am just trying to understand the relevance of the label...

h20
-------------------------------------------------
if hip hop ever dies...it will be the day that all of us who fell in love with a new sound that was like nothing we ever heard before and kept being amazed as it grew and changed and morphed stop wanting to be challenged...it will be the day we make a bunch of unbreakable rules and accept it all as hip hop cannon, and the next musical form will have to born of a rebellion against all you reactionaries who wouldn't let it grow and change because your "love" was really obsession and you held on so tight that you choked her. it will be the day that young kids don't want to hear about hip hop anymore because they still listen with their hearts...in reality hip hop won't really be dead anyway, she will just have to undergo another name change like she always has...word to miles and dizzy. - kacy wilson

for the record i wouldn't say i cry a lot uncontrollably, but when alone if i feel like crying, i let it on out...shit is healthy and you feel great afterwards like you just had a really nice blowjob. - kacy wilson

14205, it's called funk
Posted by DJ Raz, Mon Jul-14-03 07:25 AM
you might have heard of it. most of hip-hop is rapped over top of it. this is new funk, the mothership is hovering overhead again.

don't fear the funk or your nose will grow.

--
DJ Raz..... raz@wfnk.com
(live the funk)..... http://wfnk.com
(hear the funk)..... http://wfnk.com/radio
(buy the funk)....... http://razup.vstoremusic.com

"don't you let me come through your speaker and spook you -
peek a boo! If you haven't got a nutt then the yokes on you
Wait a minute to begin it now let's start from scratch
All your cookies are gone let's see you bake a new batch
It's all goody goody too good to be through
I got a whole lot of nuttin I wanna say to you
Your shit is on the real my shit is all made up?
Smells like some other funker done P'ed in your cup
You a bad motherfucka? So how does it feel
to be standin on nuttin knowing nuttin is real, kid?"
--Lonnie "Meganutt" Marshall, Weapon of Choice, "Glo In Da Dark" c.1996
14206, you think they're running away?
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 12:00 PM
You're bringing your "rappers don't wanna be rappers anymore" post in here. I don't care what Outkast do, as long as the result is good music. Do you think the song is bad? Or are you just mad because you perceive Andre to be abandoning your favorite artform in favor of some new creative directions? You honestly think this is a step back? 'Cause I wouldn't say he's "elevating" or something like that, and I agree with some of the stuff you said in the other thread. But do you honestly think this song is bad? Or do you just wish he was rapping instead?
14207, and to piggy back on that...
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Jul-15-03 09:22 PM
i don't think andre coming out singing is "running away" from anything...because there are other ways to cower, but risking alienating your fan base and trying something new is usually not associated with the cowardly and fearful. i thought toilet tisha was brilliant funk too. if you ask me they did a better version of prince than prince has done in a long time on that one right there...

the funny thing about that running away from eminem argument is that eminem named andre3000 as one of the best. ("Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie, Andre from Outkast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me"). eminem put himself under andre...and didn't eminem sing a song to his daughter on his last record anyway.

h20
if hip hop ever dies...it will be the day that all of us who fell in love with a new sound that was like nothing we ever heard before and kept being amazed as it grew and changed and morphed stop wanting to be challenged...it will be the day we make a bunch of unbreakable rules and accept it all as hip hop cannon, and the next musical form will have to born of a rebellion against all you reactionaries who wouldn't let it grow and change because your "love" was really obsession and you held on so tight that you choked her. it will be the day that young kids don't want to hear about hip hop anymore because they still listen with their hearts...in reality hip hop won't really be dead anyway, she will just have to undergo another name change like she always has...word to miles and dizzy. - kacy wilson

for the record i wouldn't say i cry a lot uncontrollably, but when alone if i feel like crying, i let it on out...shit is healthy and you feel great afterwards like you just had a really nice blowjob. - kacy wilson

14208, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by boricua_taino, Thu Jul-10-03 12:19 PM
>Why do you think people rhyme in the 1st place?
>
>More specifically, why do young black american males rhyme
>in the 1st place?
>
>Before hip hop what were they doing?
>
>Who were their role models?
>
>Why do you think cats are so fucking afraid of Eminem?

what a crock of bullshit yo. i understand where you're coming from and all, but its a completely unnecessary and irrelevant argument because you have no right to hold individual artists responsible for some sociological shit like this when all they're doing is expanding their artistic repertoire and creativity.

as much as we may cherish the hip hop contributions of people like Andre and also somebody like say...Q Tip, we have no right to fault them for expanding their sound and experimenting with their creativity. in addition to hip hop, i grew up listening to the big band sound of 70's hardcore salsa, and as classic bandleaders i personally felt bad when musicians like Eddie Palmieri and Ray Barretto stopped making salsa music and turned to the more pedestrian sounds of jazz, but what are you gonna do...they're following the music THEY want to make. these people are musicians, not avowed civic leaders of the community; as such, their only responsibility is to be true to their own artistic sense of self expression.

and it's certainly not in Andre's mandate that he should have to defend you or the "young black american male" from fuckin Emimen of all people. i mean, c'mon...get a hold of yourself man.

14209, RE: allright, but if the result is still good?
Posted by johnnyjuice, Thu Jul-10-03 01:08 PM

Good point about Eddie Palmieri and Ray Barretto.

That's why the "streets" chose Willie Colon and Hector LaVoe.

14210, ever heard of cold crush brothers?
Posted by spirit, Fri Jul-11-03 12:55 AM
>How is it Hip-Hop if there's singing instead of rapping?

it's still rhyming couplets. it's still has the repitition inherent in most hip-hop tracks.

and about your theory, where do you place Steinski's work? DJ Shadow? Petestrumentals? Not hip-hop b/c there's no rapping? Was Kool Herc not hip-hop until Coke La Rock hopped on stage? LOL.

What about Cold Crush Brothers and their harmonizing? They're damn near the Temptations sometimes. Ha.
14211, RE: ever heard of cold crush brothers?
Posted by Shaun_G, Fri Jul-11-03 02:17 AM
I clarified my definition somewhere around here to account for DJ Shadow and other Hip-Hop "instrumentalists".

Going by what your saying you think Mary J is Hip-Hop then?

Shaun G.
14212, you gotta label it hip hop
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Jul-15-03 09:08 PM
in order to appreciate it?

let me ask you this...if you play the beat to mobb deep's quiet storm (jus the instrumental) won't most heads get up off their feet and still feel it at the club...or will they say this ain't hip hop?

i think the one drop rule is usually in affect with hip hop. you got one drop of black blood in you and you black...same with hip hop. but lets keep it real...its a lot of people rapping who don't even have that one drop...know what i mean?

h20

14213, .
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 01:10 AM

14214, this is awful
Posted by Tariq3, Thu Jul-10-03 01:10 AM
come on ya'll. are we strecthing ish to far trying to accept these so-called 'progressions'. this is terrible man..c'mon.
14215, i disagree.
Posted by StacyAdams, Thu Jul-10-03 01:12 AM
This shit is nice and i aint no Andre fan at ALL.
14216, you need to open up a little....
Posted by ne_atl, Thu Jul-10-03 01:31 AM
this is beautiful....

"I'm the obscene slain kicker with no parental sticker. Advising yall that wise words is much slicker" GZA: knock-knock

Inaugural Member, OkaySports Hall of Fame

a new quote to get use to: Vick to Price........ TOUCHDOWN!!
14217, man
Posted by ORiGiNOSEed, Thu Jul-10-03 03:30 AM
i was saying the SAME thing about that "Ghetto Musik" joint but i can deal with this joint a lil more...
14218, thats rosario dawson on that track
Posted by Lord_Vingtune, Thu Jul-10-03 01:43 AM
and fuck that if yall complaining that dre aint "rapping" enough you obviously havent paying attention the last few years. These cats never wanna do the same ole shit. You should know this by now. "Let my niggas live"

"forever my beyonce"

"got the roc in the handcuffs
they could not understand us
the way we hop out them damn trucks like 'and whut???'
yeh we are the dips
we are what's popping
we are the shit
we are a MOVE-MENT!"

fuck you if you ain't feeling the dips...KILLA
14219, fuck that
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 01:53 AM

14220, RE: thats rosario dawson on that track
Posted by elephunk83, Thu Jul-10-03 02:59 AM
I thought he was sayin "forever my fiance"...
14221, i think he did say that
Posted by thembi, Sat Jul-12-03 08:32 PM
who knows nice song though
14222, This sounds like
Posted by jefleejohnson, Thu Jul-10-03 01:54 AM
Camille meets Sly Stone meets Michael Hampton/Eddie Hazel meets Organized Noize meets George Clinton on shrooms/acid on Pluto in the year 2020

I dont care what anyone says Andre3000 is leaps beyond anyone in Hip Hop as a frontman. No matter how silly the title is.
This ish is cool and Andre just leaped in front of Common wit this one.

Oh yea who did that fluid sick as hell bassline on this?

Is it Preston? It has to be.
eff that if it doesnt sound like Hip Hop. Thats what Andre is supposed to do.

14223, RE: This sounds like
Posted by elephunk83, Thu Jul-10-03 02:25 AM
I agree 100 percent. This song is amazing. This is so amazing. I don't care if someone puts it right in front of my face, I'm not listening to the new Outkast until I'm holding the CD in my hands at 10:01 on August 26. This is the one exception to downloading. This album will be the greatest of the year.
14224, andre has BEEN infront...
Posted by humblemumble, Thu Jul-10-03 03:23 AM
of common. there is no comparision. his creativity is unbelievable. this is nothing new for the kid, the only difference is there is no big boi to follow-up with a rap. i fuckin love dude!
14225, Let's not go overboard.
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 07:42 AM

14226, RE: Let's not go overboard.
Posted by osu_no_1, Thu Jul-10-03 06:55 PM
overboard? common followed in outkasts footsteps with that electric circus. say what you want about the previous statement, but i think hes following them.

i doubt that com would be caught singing on a track, but don't hate on dre because hes doing this. like cee-lo said in "damn"... "...lately life has just been a lot less inspiring." maybe dre feels the same way, and if it pleases him to sing then he should sing. these guys in my opinion are the forerunners and a lot of cats out there borrow elements from them. honestly tho, i'll be PISSED if dre pulls a cee-lo on this one.
14227, uh common is singing
Posted by Shaun_G, Fri Jul-11-03 02:19 AM
on "Electric Circus" in "Jimi was a Rockstar".

Shaun G.
14228, obviously
Posted by AlBundy, Fri Jul-11-03 05:26 AM
he meant if it werent for Andre.

"Madlib is background music for twats. ...sometimes I feel like some twat"-- s.blak

14229, RE: This sounds like
Posted by MikeCzech, Thu Jul-10-03 06:27 AM
bass by Aaron Mills

also, production is no longer collectively "Earthtone III", it's now "Andre Benjamin for SlumDrum" and "Antwan Patton For Boom Boom Room Productions". Wonder why the split...

-both Ghetto Musick and She Lives In My Lap are Andre productions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neck Exersize PHONOgraphics
neckexersize.com

SKRATCH N SNIFF
Saturday Nights 10PM
91X (91.1FM) San Diego
http://neckexersize.com/sns.htm
14230, the split is probably because...
Posted by spirit, Fri Jul-11-03 12:59 AM
...they want to produce seperate and keep the money seperate for their individual production work...it's cool. as long as they keep working together, it's all good. ha!
14231, THIS IS WILD!!!!!!!
Posted by BurbKnight, Fri Jul-11-03 03:56 AM
I love it
14232, Cosign.
Posted by takinthecoltrane, Sat Jul-12-03 01:05 PM
"There's a lot you can do with a giant four foot dried, curling, boomerang seed pod from the Botang Tree that grows only in Indonesia."
-Tom Waits

"It's not about a salary it's all about reality."
-KRS-One

"Me being wack is like naps on Kojack."
-RZA
14233, CO SIGN
Posted by igors_groove, Mon Jul-14-03 07:24 AM
>Camille meets Sly Stone meets Michael Hampton/Eddie Hazel
>meets Organized Noize meets George Clinton on shrooms/acid
>on Pluto in the year 2020
>I dont care what anyone says Andre3000 is leaps beyond
>anyone in Hip Hop as a frontman. No matter how silly the
>title is.
>This ish is cool and Andre just leaped in front of Common
>wit this one.

i've never said "co-sign" before. this comment ^^^^deserved it though. i LOVE this track. god.

what a perfect combination of live and programmed stuff.
14234, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by wonluv, Thu Jul-10-03 01:56 AM
this is cool.....

however, i know people want to do different stuff....why does that seem to equate sounding like prince?????

anyway, it's cool.....as long as big boi balances the cd out with his disk.....
14235, further proof
Posted by BrainChild, Thu Jul-10-03 02:42 AM
that prince was way ahead of his time.

--me--
THIS IS....... UNUSUAL!

www.extra-medium.net/blog

14236, OR further proof that...
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 07:44 AM
Some of these rappers aren't as original as you make em out to be...
14237, RE: OR further proof that...
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Jul-10-03 01:09 PM
>Some of these rappers aren't as original as you make em out
>to be...

Checkmate.

'Original' is usually going to be wrong when referring to most artist from the 70s to now.

Everything has a root. Some are more blatant/obvious. Others are not.

In this case:

Innovative? Maybe, but not unarguably. Prince's sound is all over this.

Bold? Yep. Even for Dre (his singing is better than I expected).

Unusual in comparison to peers? Surely.

'Different from the norm' and 'original' have been switched.

Screw semantics.

I'ma call this Dre song dope and be done with it.

Jimaveli

14238, RE:Prince's sound?
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 01:43 PM
>'Original' is usually going to be wrong when referring to
>most artist from the 70s to now.
>
>Everything has a root. Some are more blatant/obvious. Others
>are not.
>
>In this case:
>
>Innovative? Maybe, but not unarguably. Prince's sound is all
>over this.

Actually this is straight Funkadelic.

But that's okay, that's where Prince got his shit from.

>I'ma call this Dre song dope and be done with it.

Agreed. Even though it makes me feel funny to think of this as hiphop its just damn good music.

14239, RE:Prince's sound?
Posted by jimaveli, Fri Jul-11-03 12:07 PM
>>'Original' is usually going to be wrong when referring to
>>most artist from the 70s to now.
>>
>>Everything has a root. Some are more blatant/obvious. Others
>>are not.
>>
>>In this case:
>>
>>Innovative? Maybe, but not unarguably. Prince's sound is all
>>over this.
>
>Actually this is straight Funkadelic.
>
>But that's okay, that's where Prince got his shit from.
>

Good point. When you look at it, Funkadelic/Parliament may be directly and/or indirectly responsible for a good chunk of what has come after them.

>>I'ma call this Dre song dope and be done with it.
>
>Agreed. Even though it makes me feel funny to think of this
>as hiphop its just damn good music.

As much as we try not to, most of us at one time or another will catch ourselves falling into a "hiphop has to be like this or that" trap.

Kast has made it apparent that they are heavily against that.

They have put their music on the line over and over as proof. IMO, that is part of their appeal to their most hardcore fans (I am one of them, but I'm not in the blind section).

Jimaveli
14240, funkadelic and prince
Posted by GumDrops, Mon Jul-14-03 05:26 AM
obviously prince was influenced by funkadelic - they were doing (for lack of a better word) 'black rock' as he was growing up but most of princes 80s material is a lot more focused, songwriting-wise. funkadelic's music was usually a lot wilder, unruly and less compacted into the more concise intro, verse, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus format that prince usually worked with.
14241, Its easy why Andre doesnt want to rap
Posted by jefleejohnson, Thu Jul-10-03 02:00 AM
Because the dude is in a different dimension.

Shock G/George Clinton/Prince?bootsy

Who the eff else do you need?

all were impressed by Andre/

He has bigger vision than to just mc. It is smart because a rapper is limiting himself if thats not where his heart is.

P.s. is this song about Erykah Badu? Some of the lyrics hint to that it seems to me.

I am all for Andre the eccentric experimenter. He has a funkier singing voice than most.

The way this is constructed it shows you Andre is meant to be a producer.

Who does the guitar and keys on this?

14242, i can dig it
Posted by zamas, Thu Jul-10-03 02:11 AM
its better then that wonderwoman track i heard a couple days ago!
14243, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by Shawn_Gee, Thu Jul-10-03 02:18 AM
Sounds like Bilal to me....uh I guess its cool, prolly gotta grow on me
14244, You still pumping Beyonce though, right?
Posted by Ghetto, Thu Jul-10-03 03:35 AM

In the hood summer time is the killing season It's hot out this bitch that's a good 'nuff reason "I've seen gangsta's get religious when they start bleedin Sayin "Lord, Jesus Help Me" cause they ass leakin" - $0.50

14245, RE: You still pumping Beyonce though, right?
Posted by Shawn_Gee, Thu Jul-10-03 11:03 AM
Yup.......Me Myself and I is my shit.....I'm stuck on that right now. But I think I'm bout to start liking Speechless the most.

I know u said that beyonce comment sarcastically but I was never really an Outkast fan...could never get over their southern twang...too hard for me to understand what they're saying most of the time. If I can't understand you I can't say that I really fully enjoy your shit. Some of their beats are classic and I think they have some hot hooks but never really felt them like most people do. This Dre song is sorta cool to me (not wack) but don't jump out either,,,,some normal wierdo Outkast shit.
14246, normal weirdo?
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Jul-15-03 09:31 PM
y'all kill me sometimes

h20

14247, Oy Vey
Posted by cantball, Thu Jul-10-03 02:23 AM
Wow,I'm losing anticipation for this album by the second.
The rest of the tracks better be fire,becasue these last 2 are wiggedy wiggedy wiggedy wack *jump jump*
14248, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by elephunk83, Thu Jul-10-03 02:29 AM
He has definitely stepped up his singing. I love what he does with his voice and the guitar and keys on this song are great. This is so different, I don't know what to say. All these rappers talk about funk, but this to me is what funk should be in 2003, or 2030 for that matter. Dre should be a producer for everyone he can get his hands on. His production is like no one else.
14249, hes not the only one who produces
Posted by Lord_Vingtune, Thu Jul-10-03 04:26 AM
please believe it

trust me he gets alot of help
14250, RE: hes not the only one who produces
Posted by elephunk83, Thu Jul-10-03 06:47 AM
Who does he get help from?
14251, Mr DJ
Posted by C_Hickman, Thu Jul-10-03 07:02 AM
he's the other cat in Earthtone III..basically the backbone of their production..plus other cats is playin all the instruments..so it aint like Dre is a one man team..dude is like a Dre or Eminem when it comes to actual beatmaking

Weekly Rotation
---------------------
1. Jan Jelinek-La Nouvelle Pauvrete
2. Mos Def-Black on Both Sides
3. Wauvenfold-3Fold
4. Cinematic Orchestra-Man w/ a Camera
5. Metamatics-From Death To Passwords Where Your a Paper Aeroplane
6. Aceyalone-Book of Human Language
7. Canonball Adderley-Country Preacher
8. Miles Davis-Filles De Killimanjaro
9. Flanger-Inner/Outer Space
10.Pete Rock-Soul Survivor
14252, RE: Mr DJ
Posted by johnnyjuice, Thu Jul-10-03 07:27 AM

"Beatmaking" and "producing" are two totally different things.

Ask Rod Temperton (he wrote Thriller and many other hit songs for Michael Jackson and George Benson's Give Me The Night.)

Quincy Jones produced the songs...Rod Temperton WROTE them.

Hal David and Burt Bacharach WROTE "Walk on By." Burt produced it for Dionne Warwick. Isaac Hayes redid it and produced it a TOTALLY different way (it was used as the base sample for Biggie's "Warning").

Producing a record and writing a song are not the same thing.

14253, yea but
Posted by Spread, Thu Jul-10-03 10:16 AM
Mr. DJ has been the unsung hero behind all DF's beats for a while. They got a deep team at Organized Noize. Not to take away from Dre, but he did have help (by the way Big Boi is also part of EarthtoneIII)
I dig the song, but ain't feeling the chorus so much.
14254, That's NOT true at all...
Posted by SP1200, Thu Jul-10-03 11:51 AM
Mr. DJ hadn't been a vital force until Stankonia. And that was after Outkast produced the first song "B.O.B." by themselves. They always sounded better without him IMO.
14255, this shit is bananas
Posted by BrainChild, Thu Jul-10-03 02:43 AM
this may be the first outkast album that i get seriously geeked over.

--me--
THIS IS....... UNUSUAL!

www.extra-medium.net/blog

14256, Dre is on some other
Posted by equinox, Thu Jul-10-03 03:57 AM
looking forward to this. I hope it is totally experimental!

F safe!

Rotating!

oO 12s, et al. Oo
GB - Left & Right (remix)
Somatik - Interaktion
Extra T - E.T. Boogie
Arkade Funk - Tilt
Gene Brown Sampler CDR

oO albuhlums Oo

Various - Be Arisionable
Larry Heard - Where Life Begins
Ed Motta - Poptical
....::::Music: MySanctuary::::....

---------------------
The Wednesday Papes
Wednesdays 10a-12n
WRFG 89.3FM Atlanta
www.wrfg.org

--------------------
SPIN CYCLE A WEEKLY DOSE OF MUSIC'S UNDERGROUND RISING!

SPIN CYCLE....SUMMER SATURDAYS (3P - 6P) AT TOWER RECORDS IN ATL.

DJ BLK ICE TO SPIN THE REVOLUTION THRU THE CYCLE, AUGUST 2
14257, RE: this shit is bananas
Posted by cityofboom, Thu Jul-10-03 12:20 PM
co-sign!!!!!....nigga this shit out of control!!!!!!!...These cats constantly innovate the game with each album...these cats ain't giving a fuck about what hip-hop is or is not! they just creating from whatever they feel...they ain't following no fucking hip-hop manual...they show more creativity than any of these other muthaf*ckas in the game...Hip-hop is so gotdamn wack right now...Outkast is really the only group out there who is actually pushing the music to other levels...niggas can't hate on that...

www.mp3.com/afra_behn
14258, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by elephunk83, Thu Jul-10-03 02:57 AM
MP3?!? Menphyel7, where do you get this shit? Good lookin out, money...
14259, im one minute into it...
Posted by donwill, Thu Jul-10-03 03:09 AM
and i think that this may be my favorite lp of the year based on this, ghetto music and flip flop rock
14260, I like this
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 03:12 AM
ghetto music wasn't quite coherent enough for me, but I'm really looking forward to this album now
14261, And this folks
Posted by Ghetto, Thu Jul-10-03 03:12 AM
is how you make music. Fools are gonna have no choice but to get their weight up, everyone else is looking pretty skinny now.

In the hood summer time is the killing season It's hot out this bitch that's a good 'nuff reason "I've seen gangsta's get religious when they start bleedin Sayin "Lord, Jesus Help Me" cause they ass leakin" - $0.50

14262, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by godman, Thu Jul-10-03 03:16 AM
shit was hot, I expected Dre to be singing so hey.
14263, Excellent©Mr. Burns
Posted by BigReg, Thu Jul-10-03 03:27 AM
The only flaw is that with both sides so strictly split in half, that some people are gonna ignore the more 'eclectic' Dre side. But its about something else got heavy airplay besides the throwback nation thats been getting burn in the past year. As much has people hate, its gonna make my day that Hot 97 is forced to put tracks like this inbetween the newest Lumidee remix and Fabolous track, even if you don't think its as good as old 'kast.
14264, i like this
Posted by jimi, Thu Jul-10-03 03:34 AM
this is banging and def some funk shit
like somebody said earlier i like this way better than frontin
alot of sounds
the guitar is ill
i aint gonna front though i didnt know that was him singing at first i was waiting for him to come until i realized its him

*plays song again*
14265, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by The_Soul_Controller, Thu Jul-10-03 03:36 AM
keep on upping this people, i need this for when i get home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14266, oh my.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Jul-10-03 03:38 AM
this makes me wish i'd brought more prince w/me to work today.
14267, i can tolerate this better than "Ghetto Musik"
Posted by ORiGiNOSEed, Thu Jul-10-03 03:52 AM
to say the least..lemme listen to it a couple more times
14268, YES!
Posted by scorpion, Thu Jul-10-03 04:00 AM
finally....some MUSIC!
14269, RE: Andre 3000 single-
Posted by BobGeorge3000, Thu Jul-10-03 04:02 AM
She's always in my hair

This song is fucking amazing.

Whats the credits on this album?

Dre is sick.

Outkast is the best duo ever in hip hop.

I am Bob George From India.
14270, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by myth, Thu Jul-10-03 04:32 AM
I'm diggin on this joint, despite the Princisms, but I'm a Prince fan. I do wish he would have added at least one verse, but I likes. Can you picture this on 106 and park and looking at the crowds reaction(Haha, that would be some shit!)
14271, HE'LL RAP ON THE REMIX
Posted by Ghetto, Thu Jul-10-03 05:41 AM

14272, that's Andre for ya
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Thu Jul-10-03 04:45 AM
Say a lyric in the past that he follows up with an ode.

"Niggas trying to get a piece of mine.....so I gotta grab my piece"

Another gun song that slipped by yall. This is genius.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

'Pride Piper'- Dialect 'Return of the White Buffalo'
Host - Nicolay 'City Lights'
'Declaration' - Von Pea 'The Beat Maker'
'I Am DVSJ'(producer) - Divine Versatile 'DVS For Alderman'

This shit is wack. -

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic presents.....

: "The First "

Chrematic,Die Hard,Divine Versatile,Dotcom Intelligence,Fathom 9,Ginseng,Izno,Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic,Obsidian Blue,Ralph Fleezy,The Unknown,Warlock,Xcaliber

soon.

Shout out to my
14273, main that gun clap aint slipped by!!!
Posted by equinox, Thu Jul-10-03 05:21 AM
Rotating!

oO 12s, et al. Oo
Somatik - Interaktion
Extra T - E.T. Boogie
Arkade Funk - Tilt
Gene Brown Sampler CDR

oO albuhlums Oo

Various - Be Arisionable
Ed Motta - Poptical

---------------------
The Wednesday Papes
Wednesdays 10a-12n
WRFG 89.3FM Atlanta
www.wrfg.org

--------------------

14274, good
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Thu Jul-10-03 05:25 AM
Folks is trying to pigeonhole him into a Prince wannabe without seeing what the song was about. I think it's a good song.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

Chrematic,Die Hard,Divine Versatile,Dotcom Intelligence,Fathom 9,Ginseng,Izno,Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic,Obsidian Blue,Ralph Fleezy,The Unknown,Warlock,Xcaliber

soon.

Shout out to my
14275, he said some'n bout peace of mind
Posted by equinox, Thu Jul-10-03 09:29 AM
peace/piece my brother
peace of mind
piece of mine
grab my piece

-dute dute dute-

Rotating!

oO 12s, et al. Oo
Somatik - Interaktion
Extra T - E.T. Boogie
Arkade Funk - Tilt
Gene Brown Sampler CDR

oO albuhlums Oo

Various - Be Arisionable
Ed Motta - Poptical

---------------------
The Wednesday Papes
Wednesdays 10a-12n
WRFG 89.3FM Atlanta
www.wrfg.org

--------------------

14276, whenever i try and get peace of mind
Posted by duD, Thu Jul-10-03 01:41 PM
niggas try and grab a piece of mine
so I gotta grab MY piece.
14277, you's a smart mf'er
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 05:27 AM
*daps*
14278, you get it now?
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Thu Jul-10-03 11:45 AM
He assisted it with the Volume 10 sample which he really shouldn't but what threw me ...was Rosario Dawson acting like a lap dancer when really she was just the voice for the weopon. Genius.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

soon.

Shout out to my
14279, Over my head..
Posted by EasyStar, Thu Jul-10-03 09:20 AM
thats some real shit, lunch....I usually catch that.

*re-listen*
14280, took me a quick second
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Thu Jul-10-03 11:48 AM
But I was like....."oohhhhhhhhhhhh". He on some street shit so much we miss it. He more gangsta than Big Boi he just got a Gemini way of saying it. Takes a Gemini to translate it sometimes.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

soon.

Shout out to my
14281, InI a Gem
Posted by EasyStar, Thu Jul-10-03 04:24 PM
and i still aint get it. It makes complete sense after the re-listen. Dre aint never been no bitch. i dont carewhat he wears we all saw him in the southerplayalistik era. "I may look kinda funny...but i aint no fool."

Quiet people dont play....Dre a lil too quiet
14282, Ohhh shit
Posted by VonClay, Thu Jul-10-03 06:18 PM
I won't front like I caught that one.

Damn I like the song that much more now that I know where he is trying to take it.

Maybe there is something behind the Andre3000 hype after all.
14283, glad to help
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Fri Jul-11-03 06:49 AM
tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

soon.

Shout out to my
14284, Whoa shit
Posted by takinthecoltrane, Sat Jul-12-03 01:08 PM
that's ingenious.

"There's a lot you can do with a giant four foot dried, curling, boomerang seed pod from the Botang Tree that grows only in Indonesia."
-Tom Waits

"It's not about a salary it's all about reality."
-KRS-One

"Me being wack is like naps on Kojack."
-RZA
14285, i listened closer
Posted by atruhead, Sat Jul-12-03 07:54 PM
and it sounds like the tale of andre and a stripper

nothing in the lyrics even slightly alluding to a gun other than the hook

plus i couldnt see dre making a whole song about the topic

14286, read what I said again
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Mon Jul-14-03 06:27 AM
But of course.......you always disagree with everything I have a say on.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

soon.

Shout out to my
14287, i listened to the lyrics
Posted by atruhead, Tue Jul-15-03 02:50 PM
this is far from "i gave you power"

what besides the hook makes you think its about a gun? the verses arent related at all
14288, Whether it's hip hop or not
Posted by El_essence, Thu Jul-10-03 05:01 AM
this is dope. This is funkadelic all day long. All it needs is a horn section. this is dope. I can't front.
14289, MANHOODLUM & BROKEN SP1200 better hate!
Posted by MiQL, Thu Jul-10-03 05:08 AM
coz if y'all don't, you'll add to
the lengthy roster of double-standard
EC naysayers.

Dre can be "experimental", but Com can't?
14290, but EC was crappy
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Jul-10-03 05:21 AM
and this is good. It's not a double-standard when one is good music and the other bad.
14291, Common cant sing like Andre
Posted by jefleejohnson, Thu Jul-10-03 05:28 AM
Thats why Andre is allowed to sing instead of M.C.,imo.

Because he has a funky voice. Why do cats want to manipulate Andre to stop that and go back to something where his passion isnt? He is not bad at harmonies. He is not bad at lead.

THIS has to be one of the most completely overblown hypothesis that Andre has fallen from grace. Wait til the dang project is out. Listen to it and then see if you dig it without this notion of "HE has to rap"

So far for me and probably 80 percent of the KAST fanbase he has impressed his listeners with doing different ish.

That is what KAST is about.

Kids should have known that a lil bit by Atliens. They should have known more by Aquemini. They should have got the whole vision by STANKONIA.

But if kids dont grasp the idea that OUTKAST does not want to go backwards because their spirits say otherwise.

Will see.....how the world reacts to it.
But as for NOW?
ANDRE is the "IT" KID

And everybody in music will know it once again.
Stop fronting...you want the ANDRE disc as much as the Big Boi.

14292, RE: Common cant sing like Andre
Posted by elephunk83, Sun Jul-13-03 06:03 AM
I'm anticipating the Andre disc more than the Big Boi. Andre 3000 puts emotion into his music, which is something not many people do in hip-hop, and don't even start with that gay r&b ll shit.
14293, ec wanted to be outkast
Posted by haji rana pinya, Thu Jul-10-03 09:51 AM
thats like saying vanilla ice and rakim both rap so if you hate on ice ice baby you better hate on paid in full

14294, No, Ec wanted to be Funkadelic...Same as Kast.
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 01:40 PM
as well as Dr. Buzzard's Original savannah Band...
as well as Prince and the Revolution...etc, etc....

They're both hybrid hop.
14295, Thank you. EC is it's own monsta...
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 01:37 PM

14296, I don't like this...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Jul-10-03 01:46 PM
...i dont like prince, hated EC and now i'm putting my vic vaughn advance back on... peace

14297, is this the new quasimoto?
Posted by imenmusic, Thu Jul-10-03 05:19 AM
border wack
-beatnuts
14298, --Hits repeat....does the wop...cabbage patches
Posted by DivineVersatile, Thu Jul-10-03 05:25 AM
This is bananas.

MY VERY OWN HIPPIDY-HOP! I'M GOING TO LOVE YOU AND PLAY WITH YOU FOR EVER AND EVER!!!

Elmyra....the choice of a new generation.
14299, RE: It's alright, and catchy
Posted by IgotSense, Thu Jul-10-03 05:32 AM
but the hook...I would definitly say drugs were being used.
14300, i heard dre has not...
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Jul-15-03 09:40 PM
even touched weed in years...not that it matters all that much to me. but many cats can be funky geniuses drug free: prince and michael (not counting the pain killers and acne medications) are the only two coming to mind...oh yeah and this one drummer cat who gets twisted off of one or two mojitos.

h20

14301, Yall are in fuckin denial
Posted by C_Hickman, Thu Jul-10-03 05:37 AM
this is bad..its so bad its annoying.

Weekly Rotation
---------------------
1. Jan Jelinek-La Nouvelle Pauvrete
2. Mos Def-Black on Both Sides
3. Wauvenfold-3Fold
4. Cinematic Orchestra-Man w/ a Camera
5. Metamatics-From Death To Passwords Where Your a Paper Aeroplane
6. Aceyalone-Book of Human Language
7. Canonball Adderley-Country Preacher
8. Miles Davis-Filles De Killimanjaro
9. Flanger-Inner/Outer Space
10.Pete Rock-Soul Survivor
14302, RE: Yall are in fuckin denial
Posted by mrshow, Thu Jul-10-03 06:37 AM
so far every track Ive heard from this album has been mind-numbingly good. Im now as excited for this album as I am for anything else this year.
14303, boooo to Real Audio.
Posted by bluetiger, Thu Jul-10-03 05:46 AM
I want my MP3! (c) Dire Straits hack

I like the single though.

and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

14304, dope.
Posted by Aeon, Thu Jul-10-03 05:51 AM
not breathtaking, nor wack.
more like what i've come to expect from dre.
i'm like k_orr tho, can i hear a nigga spit.
i dont know if i can stand dre AND mos on some exclusively singing shit.
14305, Ever since
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Thu Jul-10-03 12:00 PM
Babylon I was "fiending" for this dude to spit. But I feel where he coming from. This is more zodiac than anything. He's a Gemini. "We" get bored with the same ol all the time. We got the itch to do different shit all the time. I do want to hear some spitting though. But this is pretty as shit.

tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Sessions'

:

This shit is wack. -

soon.

Shout out to my
14306, These insatiable-ass niggas need to stop.
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Jul-10-03 06:29 AM
This shit is nice.

He should have added some Linn percussion to it. Would have been more icing on the cake.

Who really cares whether or not Andre is rapping or singing?

"systematic overthrow of the underclass
Hollywood conjures images of the past
new world needs spirituality that will last
I've seen the future, and it will be."
-Prince (as Batman), 1989
14307, Hip-Hop??
Posted by Shaun_G, Thu Jul-10-03 06:34 AM
Do people actually think this is Hip-Hop?

If D'Angelo was singing this instead of Dre would it be Hip-Hop?

I like it as a Funk song but I wouldn't call it Hip-Hop.

Shaun G.
14308, you are 100% right
Posted by ficus, Thu Jul-10-03 06:43 AM
and this is probably the best point made in this post.

Nobody gets on rock cats if they make a punk song and a country song on one record, so why can't Kast do funk, R&B, hip-hop, rock, whatever?

14309, RE: Hip-Hop??
Posted by johnnyjuice, Thu Jul-10-03 07:22 AM
>Do people actually think this is Hip-Hop?
>
>If D'Angelo was singing this instead of Dre would it be
>Hip-Hop?
>
>I like it as a Funk song but I wouldn't call it Hip-Hop.
>
>Shaun G.

Why wouldn't it be Hip-Hop? Because there is no RAPPING on it?

I don't recall Booker T and the MG's "Melting Pot" having someone rhyming on it yet it is a "HipHop Classic."

Growing up in the Bronx and witnessing the birth of this thing we call "Hip Hop" I can attest to the fact that "Hip Hop" has been around longer than "Rap music".

As a B-boy and later a DJ I would learn to appreciate any music that moved the crowd. These jams would all be considered "HipHop" in my opinion as this is the shit we listened to.

Hip Hop is supposed to be a culture.

KRS-One said "Hip Hop is something you live. Rap is something you do."

"Hip Hop Be Bop" by Mann Parrish was Hip Hop yet now it would probably be considered "Techno" or "Freestyle" or whatever the labels decide to call it.

I'm sick of all the labels.

14310, pulling the BX card?
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 09:06 AM

>Why wouldn't it be Hip-Hop? Because there is no RAPPING on
>it?

That's one of the main reasons yes.

>I don't recall Booker T and the MG's "Melting Pot" having
>someone rhyming on it yet it is a "HipHop Classic."

If that's what you think that cut is, *shrugs*.
I guess Kane don't no respect nowadays.

>Growing up in the Bronx and witnessing the birth of this
>thing we call "Hip Hop" I can attest to the fact that "Hip
>Hop" has been around longer than "Rap music".

So you're saying singing = hip hop?

>As a B-boy and later a DJ I would learn to appreciate any
>music that moved the crowd. These jams would all be
>considered "HipHop" in my opinion as this is the shit we
>listened to.

uh huh.

>Hip Hop is supposed to be a culture.

lol.

>KRS-One said "Hip Hop is something you live. Rap is
>something you do."

Now you killing me.

>"Hip Hop Be Bop" by Mann Parrish was Hip Hop yet now it
>would probably be considered "Techno" or "Freestyle" or
>whatever the labels decide to call it.

>I'm sick of all the labels.

labels are important.

one
k. orr
14311, RE: pulling the BX card?
Posted by johnnyjuice, Thu Jul-10-03 09:20 AM

I don't have to pull the "BX Card".

I am a true fan of Hip Hop and since I was around long enough to see it's evolution I stated my opinion.

I don't believe in labels. Neither did many of HipHop's founding fathers. That's why some of the illest samples (especially drums) came from Rock records.

Either way, being from the Bronx doesn't validate what I'm saying. It only gives you a reference point to my proximity to it's inception.

I moved to Long Island in my teenage years and was fortunate enough to participate on some of the most incredible "HipHop" albums to date as a member of the Bomb Squad.

I never said "singing = HipHop" but what I am saying is "Rapping does not always = HipHop". If that's the case then any "Backstreet Boys" type of group could be considered HipHop if it had someone rhyming on it.

Oh, the Force MC's (later known as the Force M.D.'s) were "HipHop" and they sang. They also beat the Cold Crush Brothers in an MC battle so where does that leave us?
14312, RE: pulling the BX card?
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 09:39 AM
>I don't have to pull the "BX Card".
>
>I am a true fan of Hip Hop and since I was around long
>enough to see it's evolution I stated my opinion.

Uh huh. Look all respect due, but mad heads on here can pull an industry card, a ny card, a LA card, an ATX card, a Miami Card, a Houston card, a gangsta card, what have you.

>I don't believe in labels. Neither did many of HipHop's
>founding fathers. That's why some of the illest samples
>(especially drums) came from Rock records.

What does this have to do with the topic?

>Either way, being from the Bronx doesn't validate what I'm
>saying. It only gives you a reference point to my proximity
>to it's inception.

My proximity to it's inception = pulling the bx card.

It's cool, we ain't hating you for it.

But unless you're saying you were going to those first jams, and the whole point of them was for the dj to rock some breaks, and have different cats sing a tune, that's one thing.

But that's not what happened now is it?

>I never said "singing = HipHop" but what I am saying is
>"Rapping does not always = HipHop".

The boy is singing. Is it hip hop?
I didn't ask about the converse case.

>If that's the case then
>any "Backstreet Boys" type of group could be considered
>HipHop if it had someone rhyming on it.

That makes no sense. If 5 white dudes were rhyming on a hip hop track, they'd be hip hop.

You playing the race card now?
You playing the teenage hearthrob card now?

>Oh, the Force MC's (later known as the Force M.D.'s) were
>"HipHop" and they sang. They also beat the Cold Crush
>Brothers in an MC battle so where does that leave us?

It takes us back to Herc, and we can all the Force Mc's an anomaly.

one
k. orr
14313, RE: pulling the BX card?
Posted by johnnyjuice, Thu Jul-10-03 09:52 AM

>Uh huh. Look all respect due, but mad heads on here can
>pull an industry card, a ny card, a LA card, an ATX card, a
>Miami Card, a Houston card, a gangsta card, what have you.

You call it a "card" I call it clarification.

>>I don't believe in labels. Neither did many of HipHop's
>>founding fathers. That's why some of the illest samples
>>(especially drums) came from Rock records.
>
>What does this have to do with the topic?

It has everything to do with it. Namely "labeling" the jam saying it "isn't HipHop" when "anything" can be HipHop.

>
>>Either way, being from the Bronx doesn't validate what I'm
>>saying. It only gives you a reference point to my proximity
>>to it's inception.
>
>My proximity to it's inception = pulling the bx card.
>
>It's cool, we ain't hating you for it.
>
>But unless you're saying you were going to those first jams,
>and the whole point of them was for the dj to rock some
>breaks, and have different cats sing a tune, that's one
>thing.

>But that's not what happened now is it?

Actually, the MC really wasn't that important at those "first jams"...the DJ was. And yes, most of the MC's of the era (The Furious Five, Fantastic Five Romantics, Cold Crush Brothers) all had routines with singing in it.

>>I never said "singing = HipHop" but what I am saying is
>>"Rapping does not always = HipHop".
>
>The boy is singing. Is it hip hop?
>I didn't ask about the converse case.
>

Yes it is.

>>If that's the case then
>>any "Backstreet Boys" type of group could be considered
>>HipHop if it had someone rhyming on it.
>
>That makes no sense. If 5 white dudes were rhyming on a hip
>hop track, they'd be hip hop.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to define "HipHop" and I'm betting that you can't.

I'm not "hatin' you for it" but I know that you can't.

>
>You playing the race card now?
>You playing the teenage hearthrob card now?
>
Nope. I'm Puerto Rican so I can give two shits about the Black/White thing. I'm talking about a commercial entity labeled "HipHop" vs. the culture of "HipHop."

>>Oh, the Force MC's (later known as the Force M.D.'s) were
>>"HipHop" and they sang. They also beat the Cold Crush
>>Brothers in an MC battle so where does that leave us?
>
>It takes us back to Herc, and we can all the Force Mc's an
>anomaly.

Like I said earlier...almost all of the crews started harmonizing because most of the MC's grew up on that type of music (ie. the Stylistics, the Delphonics, the Dramatics...etc.)

one

14314, you make it sound
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 10:05 AM
Like I don't know who you are. Like I ain't read your interviews.

moving on.

>>Uh huh. Look all respect due, but mad heads on here can
>>pull an industry card, a ny card, a LA card, an ATX card, a
>>Miami Card, a Houston card, a gangsta card, what have you.
>
>You call it a "card" I call it clarification.

The only purpose of name dropping, be it BX or PE, is you want more credibility.

Well you got it.

>>>I don't believe in labels. Neither did many of HipHop's
>>>founding fathers. That's why some of the illest samples
>>>(especially drums) came from Rock records.
>>
>>What does this have to do with the topic?
>
>It has everything to do with it. Namely "labeling" the jam
>saying it "isn't HipHop" when "anything" can be HipHop.

Not anything can be hip hop.

Why?

Because "we", the core audience - urban black and brown kids, define what hip hop is.

>Actually, the MC really wasn't that important at those
>"first jams"...the DJ was. And yes, most of the MC's of the
>era (The Furious Five, Fantastic Five Romantics, Cold Crush
>Brothers) all had routines with singing in it.

Tell me something new. If Method Man does a song with Mary J. on the Hook, it's still hip hop.

>>The boy is singing. Is it hip hop?
>>I didn't ask about the converse case.
>>
>
>Yes it is.

Your reasoning behind this is?

>I guess what I'm saying is that you have to define "HipHop"
>and I'm betting that you can't.

Easy

- content
- context
- intent
- audience sanction

You've got those 4 things, you've got hip hop. That's how it works, and that's how it separates the linkin park's from the stetsasonic's, the roots from rage against the machine.

>I'm not "hatin' you for it" but I know that you can't.

Try harder.

>>
>>You playing the race card now?
>>You playing the teenage hearthrob card now?
>>
>Nope. I'm Puerto Rican so I can give two shits about the
>Black/White thing. I'm talking about a commercial entity
>labeled "HipHop" vs. the culture of "HipHop."

*groan*

C'mon potna, the culture of hip hop, if there is such a thing, never spread past NYC. What went all over the country, all over the world, was capitalism driven rap music. (and to a lesser extent b-boying, dj'ing, and graffiti - but since those are hard to make lots of dollars off of, you see why they are not as popular/truer to their original roots)

Rakim wasn't popular strictly because of merit. (although skills had a great deal) He was popular because radio jocks around the country didn't have a whole lot of hip hop to choose from. All the new school pioneers benefitted from tightly controlled marketing and promotion, despite the informality and lack of sophistication. The old school pioneers had even greater power in that respect, but black radio wasn't so quick to put them in rotation.

>Like I said earlier...almost all of the crews started
>harmonizing because most of the MC's grew up on that type of
>music (ie. the Stylistics, the Delphonics, the
>Dramatics...etc.)

evidence mayn.
14315, you can debate this till the cows come home....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Thu Jul-10-03 12:07 PM
IMO the end result is still this...

generally speaking 'labels' are a worthless waste of time and do not give any valid reflection of the quality of a track...

it's not a cop out opinion...it's a gotdanged fact.

there is so much subjectivity...so many blurred lines...

so... it's not "hip hop" to you? ok that's cool. Well what is that telling me? Nothing really. Nothing of substance. Your definition of what hip hop is or is not may not jive with the next guy...so that statement alone doesn't help me get any closer to the truth. (I read your definition of hip hop and i think it's fair to say it was somewhat vague)

so...what is MY point?

I don't know really...I'm just jonesin to hear this new Kast shit but I can't get the friggin link to work so i got pissed came across this debate and thought i'd join in and ramble a bit too dammit.

When does this shit drop? august?

dangit.

anyway...I'm pretty much with the other guy. Labels bore me to death, waste my time, and piss me off because they help keep me from hearing tons of good shit thats out there just because they may fall under some lame ass station programmers idea of 'this genre' or 'that genre'...and their station don't play to that market...

bullshit. tired bullshit

so...Hip hop...IS Kasts new stuff or ISN'T it?

who gives a rip as long as it's asskicking.

but i wouldn't know cause the friggin link...awww ta hell withit

14316, why you involved in this part right here
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 01:42 PM
move on, if you ain't implicated
14317, RE: you make it sound
Posted by violence, Fri Jul-11-03 06:12 AM
>>I guess what I'm saying is that you have to define "HipHop"
>>and I'm betting that you can't.
>
>Easy
>
>- content
>- context
>- intent
>- audience sanction

That's not a "definition", that's four bullet points.

Look at a dictionary if you need illumination on what a definition looks like.

After you do that, come back and try to provide a definition of "hip-hop".

Then, we'll knock the BS you put up out the box.

i see your posts all day long and you always seem really smug. you avoid the hard questions and put up nonsensical shit like the above, then act like you actually said something.

You're up there calling Force MD's an "anomaly". Anything that is outside of your line of argument is an "anomaly" because your argument is weak. You talk about "audience sanction" but everyone in this post is part of the hip-hop audience, yet b/c they disagree with you, suddenly they're not a part of that audience. How ridiculously ignorant.

Dude is rhyming through the whole song, on the fours. It sounds melodic, but so dones Bone, Freestyle Fellowship, and Snoop. How are you going to determine in any objective way how that song "isn't hip-hop", especially with that flimsy attempt at a definition above.

hip-hop goes beyond percussive delivery devoid of melody. that's the pnly difference b/t rapping and singing, percussive delivery vs. melody. cats like bone and snoop have already shattered that barrier. hell, cold crush brothers, as already mentioned, shattered that barrier before it even got put up.

the fact is, you have a gut feeling about what you're talking about, but no objective criteria. and history isn't on your side. at all. you're grasping for straws.

music is subjective. this song sounds like a watered down sing-songy flow. maybe it's because dude's voice sounds too percussive or something, he's hitting the fours too evenly for me to consider it regular singing. and his voice is crazy flat. someone else on here mentioned mary j. blige. she is clearly putting melody and inflection into her thing. it's soothing to the ear. if anything, dude failed at singing if that's what he was trying. it's not much of a rap flow either. even domino sounded better than this singing-wise. or nate dogg for that matter. but who gives a damn? that's just my opinion.

back to this hip-hop thing...the definition of hip-hop keeps moving. it started with rhyming over breaks. doesn't stop there. evolved to live studio musicians replaying breaks. doesn't stop there. evolved to samplers. doesn't stop there.

this argument is ridiculous.

if andre decided to call this hip-hop, how would you stop him? and why would you care? in your other posts, you talk about "the block" and all this other nonsense, like you;re the official voice for hip-hop or people in the hood or anything other than just your own little opinion. guess what? rappers have been singing. they'll keep singing. and you typing complaints about it on the Internet makes not a difference in the world.

Hell, you like Devin! Talk about singing ass rappers! Get outa here...
14318, RE: you make it sound
Posted by k_orr, Sat Jul-12-03 06:52 AM
>>>I guess what I'm saying is that you have to define "HipHop"
>>>and I'm betting that you can't.
>>
>>Easy
>>
>>- content
>>- context
>>- intent
>>- audience sanction
>
>That's not a "definition", that's four bullet points.
>
>Look at a dictionary if you need illumination on what a
>definition looks like.
>
>After you do that, come back and try to provide a definition
>of "hip-hop".

Lol you killing me.

The 4 bullets as you call them.

- content - literally what is this thing being made that is being called hip hop. Be it music, be it dance, be it visual art, there is *something* that you're actually talking about. So cats doing algebra equations or cutting the springs on an old caddy is not hip hop. It's at least gotta to be in the content.

- context - what context is it being done in? If a gymnast does a flair, it's not hip hop. If someone doing capoeira does a freeze, it's not hip hop. But if you see the same moves done @ a b-boy battle - it becomes hip hop.

- intent - Does the person doing whatever, intend it to be hip hop? When you hear Talking Blues, it might be rhyming, it might not be sung, but potna did not intend it to be rap. When you hear Ursula Rucker or Black Ice, they rhyming, spitting, staying on beat - but they don't intend their poetry to be rap.

- audience sanction - Even if you got the 3 things above, if the audience doesn't think that it is hip hop, it's not hip hop.

If your definition of hip hop can't separate the close calls, then it's a weak definition. Mine works for damn near every case.

>i see your posts all day long and you always seem really
>smug. you avoid the hard questions and put up nonsensical
>shit like the above, then act like you actually said
>something.

Not my fault you can't follow me.
But since you're steady reading my posts I know I'm doing something right.

I inspire snipers like you. Skeerock, Mathmagic, Archaic, Spirit list goes on and on.

Ain't no one here that can get mf'ers to come out the woodwork to talk about this culture like I can. Believe that.

>You're up there calling Force MD's an "anomaly". Anything
>that is outside of your line of argument is an "anomaly"
>because your argument is weak.

The Force MD's were not a major force in hip hop.
You want to argue history?
Name the hip hop mf'ers they inspired?
Show me the influence on the culture?
Show me the sheer #'s of cats who started singing hip hop, and the audience calling it hip hop, because of the Force MD's?

You can't do it. And you know i'm right.

You talk about "audience
>sanction" but everyone in this post is part of the hip-hop
>audience, yet b/c they disagree with you, suddenly they're
>not a part of that audience. How ridiculously ignorant.

>Dude is rhyming through the whole song, on the fours. It
>sounds melodic, but so dones Bone, Freestyle Fellowship, and
>Snoop.

That nigga is singing. Maybe you need to listen to that shit again.

>How are you going to determine in any objective way
>how that song "isn't hip-hop", especially with that flimsy
>attempt at a definition above.

Please. As with most snipers, you can shoot at the definition, but you can't offer a better more complete one.

>hip-hop goes beyond percussive delivery devoid of melody.
>that's the pnly difference b/t rapping and singing,
>percussive delivery vs. melody. cats like bone and snoop
>have already shattered that barrier. hell, cold crush
>brothers, as already mentioned, shattered that barrier
>before it even got put up.

You're putting in Bone and Snoop in with She lives in my lap?

Dude, do I need to even go on?

>the fact is, you have a gut feeling about what you're
>talking about, but no objective criteria. and history isn't
>on your side. at all. you're grasping for straws.

Force MD's vs the thousands of rappers that have come out since?
The fact that Snoop, Nelly, Domino, Slim Kid Tre, and Bone have either been 1) dissed for singing, 2) marginalize for it?

>music is subjective. this song sounds like a watered down
>sing-songy flow. maybe it's because dude's voice sounds too
>percussive or something, he's hitting the fours too evenly
>for me to consider it regular singing. and his voice is
>crazy flat. someone else on here mentioned mary j. blige.
>she is clearly putting melody and inflection into her thing.
>it's soothing to the ear. if anything, dude failed at
>singing if that's what he was trying. it's not much of a rap
>flow either. even domino sounded better than this
>singing-wise. or nate dogg for that matter. but who gives a
>damn? that's just my opinion.

Apparently you do,that's why you up in here.

>back to this hip-hop thing...the definition of hip-hop keeps
>moving. it started with rhyming over breaks. doesn't stop
>there. evolved to live studio musicians replaying breaks.
>doesn't stop there. evolved to samplers. doesn't stop there.

When cats are playing instruments and singing, that shit ain't hip hop. That's R&B.

>if andre decided to call this hip-hop, how would you stop
>him? and why would you care?in your other posts, you talk
>about "the block" and all this other nonsense, like you;re
>the official voice for hip-hop or people in the hood or
>anything other than just your own little opinion.

Quest is that you?
Come to the hood and just observe.

guess
>what?

rappers have been singing. they'll keep singing. and
>you typing complaints about it on the Internet makes not a
>difference in the world.
>
>Hell, you like Devin! Talk about singing ass rappers! Get
>outa here...

Yeah dawg, this was compelling
14319, Common- God is freedom
Posted by Justin_Maldonado_7, Mon Jul-14-03 07:17 AM
Chat room geeks wanna critique my b-by physique
Who the fuck made you hip hop police

KEEP ON !

Just define what hip hop is to yourseeelf....

what does it mean to you...

"It's Just Begun" & "I feel for you" ( Chaka Kahn ) was hip hop to me...no rapping on it...people used to break dance to it...therefore to me...it was hiphop...

>Rakim wasn't popular strictly because of merit. (although
>skills had a great deal) He was popular because radio jocks
>around the country didn't have a whole lot of hip hop to
>choose from....

there was plenty of music to pick from....you act like PIF came out in 1977...it was 86 and there was plenty of shit to play...there was just NOOOO ONEEEE coming with the shit that Rakim did...Of course the game wasnt as saturated as it is today...but Paid in Full had the effect of Enter the Wu/The Illmatic/Ready to die all put together....you name me an album where over 75% of the album gets played on the radio ( the cuts that hes rhyming on ) I think the only cut that didnt get play was "As the rhyme goes on"...shiiiet ..even Chinese Arithmatic got play on that soda commercial...

14320, odd....
Posted by bluetiger, Thu Jul-10-03 12:39 PM

>>I never said "singing = HipHop" but what I am saying is
>>"Rapping does not always = HipHop".
>
>The boy is singing. Is it hip hop?
>I didn't ask about the converse case.

BoneThugs basically sang their stuff. They aren't R&B, are they? Micah Nine has a singing (albeit beboppish) style he uses, is he not HipHop?

and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

14321, RE: odd....
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jul-10-03 01:43 PM
>
>>>I never said "singing = HipHop" but what I am saying is
>>>"Rapping does not always = HipHop".
>>
>>The boy is singing. Is it hip hop?
>>I didn't ask about the converse case.
>
>BoneThugs basically sang their stuff.

*basically*

that's all that needs to be said.

Andre is not *basically* singing, he's singing.

I guess Mary J. Blige is hip hop now?

one
k. orr
14322, RE: odd....
Posted by osu_no_1, Thu Jul-10-03 07:10 PM
she is currently LABELED "queen of hip-hop"...
14323, incorrect
Posted by Shaun_G, Fri Jul-11-03 02:15 AM
She's labeled the queen of "Hip-Hop Soul", a slight difference.

Shaun G.
14324, Enuff has been playing this fire on Hot 97.
Posted by DeePhunk, Thu Jul-10-03 06:54 AM
On his mix show. Out of the whole DJ lineup on that station, he's really the only one with an open ear to some "other" shit (he's the only one playing "Through the Wire" regularly as well).

I always thought it was a girl singing. Maybe cuz he had the BPM slightly up. But this is GREAT.
14325, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Thu Jul-10-03 07:00 AM
I'm feeling it. He's really improved his vocals so if this what his cd is going to be then I'll love it.
14326, damn.
Posted by K_A_Wright, Thu Jul-10-03 07:03 AM
i'm genuinely anticipating this one.

of the 2 i've heard - both are on fire. they are expanding but not so far that they lose their fans who are willing to progress w/ them.

i'm pleased. very pleased.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.:Kristy:.

.:Southern Belle::Magnolia Smell:.

Lyric O' the Week:

"Baby, ain't over 'til it's ohhh-ver..." -- Lenny Kravitz

All Things in Moderatin':
~ "Kristy, why you do me like that!?" click for answers.
~ see an offensive avatar or post? inbox me so i can see it too!

14327, Aww...not that kast...
Posted by coolfranknice, Thu Jul-10-03 07:16 AM
lemme get that pimp trick gangsta click
14328, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by 2_1_feezy, Thu Jul-10-03 07:34 AM
this shit is like some 80's techno shit, GARBAGE!
14329, yay, finally outkast is making REAL music!
Posted by roaches, Thu Jul-10-03 07:43 AM

fuckin' roaches.
14330, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by noty, Thu Jul-10-03 07:46 AM
I'm not usually for rapper singing but this shit is lovely. I've listened to it bout 20 times already.
14331, I kept expecting Shannon to appear on "Ghetto Music"
Posted by Malice, Thu Jul-10-03 07:57 AM
"let the music plaaaaaay .... he won't get awaaaaaaay .... let the music plaaaaaaay .... and he'll come back to youuuuuuuuuu!"

i like both of the tracks. *shrug*

but i'm an odd sort so ya can't trust me.
14332, UHM PEOPLE?
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Jul-10-03 07:59 AM
Stop giving George Clinton's props to prince as the inspirational source behind this....
This is Skr8 outta the files of funkadelic.

14333, RE: UHM PEOPLE?
Posted by boricua_taino, Thu Jul-10-03 12:23 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH...i was just about to make this point but i wanted to read through the entire thread first so that i could first be sure that nobody else had beaten me to it.

This shit has got George Clinton and Funkadelic written all over it, from Andre's singing voice, to the melody, to the harmonies, to the musical arrangement...to everything.

as an avid Parliament-Funkadelic fan, this song comes as almost a ghostly reincarnation. regardless, it's amazing.

14334, dude is pushing boundries. thumbs up. nm
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Jul-10-03 09:14 AM
The Only Poster That Matters.

www.theepicureans.com

http://www.umass.edu/afroam/hor.html

REPARATIONS NOW!: lay it down, hoe.
14335, for all ya'll hating: would it knock in the ride doe?
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Jul-10-03 09:16 AM
answer is an EMPHATIC yes

this shit is hot

The Only Poster That Matters.

www.theepicureans.com

http://www.umass.edu/afroam/hor.html

REPARATIONS NOW!: lay it down, hoe.
14336, okay that settled it for me
Posted by duD, Thu Jul-10-03 10:20 AM

14337, RE: Andre 3000 single-
Posted by Whaleboy70, Thu Jul-10-03 09:41 AM
This song is amazing. 20 years from now Outkast will be seen as the greatest hiphop group. Quest wishes he could make music like this.
14338, another one bites the dust
Posted by AZ, Thu Jul-10-03 09:46 AM

14339, motherfuck this is DOPE
Posted by Zarathuckya, Thu Jul-10-03 10:18 AM
ThuŠŠP@k€ŽåRåTHû©kYâ

14340, RE: motherfuck this is DOPE
Posted by Delete me, Thu Jul-10-03 10:21 AM
yes it is...
14341, damn
Posted by Delete me, Thu Jul-10-03 10:20 AM
shit's off tha hook....
14342, interesting...
Posted by missesjones, Thu Jul-10-03 10:29 AM
very princeish.

i'm listening to it on low volume on my computer at work, so i can't really form a strong opinion about it. he went way to the left with this one. wasn't what i was expecting. i thought i heard some scratches toward the end. kinda like a funk/rock/hip-hop vibe?

i think they'll definitely lose some fans with this one. i'm sure big boi'll balance it all out, though.

14343, Enormous Hit Record
Posted by urbgriot, Thu Jul-10-03 11:34 AM
Reaaly Big...

Got Damn this shit is dope...
14344, I LIKE this
Posted by darrylclark, Thu Jul-10-03 12:01 PM
The writing ain't ALL that, It didn't really grab me, but the beat was tight, I likes this.
14345, this excites me...im anxiously awaiting the new cd
Posted by prajna, Thu Jul-10-03 12:03 PM
:O) (so far i've really really liked the songs ive heard)

and i think making the CD a double disc where they both have their own discs was genius idea....instead of doing solo projects
14346, im game
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Thu Jul-10-03 12:07 PM
not what i expected (but then again, you cant really EXPECT something from outkast), but tasty nonetheless.
14347, andre's album has NO RAPPING
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Jul-10-03 12:32 PM
he said it in the new muzik magazine, theyre on the cover. he says he had 'nothing to talk about' so theres no rapping.
14348, thats bad news
Posted by Von Pea, Thu Jul-10-03 03:14 PM
but its all in his words....he says some deep shit without rapping.

"everybody wants to go to heaven....but nobody wants to die...."

Von Pea - "The Beatmaker"
featuring THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN.

(my weblog...updated July 6th)

14349, RE: andre's album has NO RAPPING
Posted by Shaun_G, Fri Jul-11-03 02:25 AM
That's stupid. What topics can only be expressed singing instead of rapping?

The more artists make statements like these the more I'm starting to agree with the whole "artists are embarassed to do Hip-Hop"
concept.

Shaun G.
14350, this is crazy
Posted by atruhead, Thu Jul-10-03 12:50 PM
it has commercial appeal, but its still experimental

im predicting this to be album of the year

Im not hearing this album or anymore from it before august 26th
14351, dope as fuck.
Posted by taygravy, Thu Jul-10-03 01:00 PM
14352, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by deejayegypto, Thu Jul-10-03 12:55 PM
that's it. that is definitely it!

i'm getting it august 26th, this/ese album/s are gonna be the phattest things to come to rescue a lackluster hip hop year.
14353, I swear...
Posted by Mello, Thu Jul-10-03 01:33 PM
they really can't do anything wrong to me for the simple fact that they TRY and put something different out there, whether I end up liking it or not (Scooby Doo for example). I respect them a ridiculous amount.

This track is definitely on some Prince stuff...the keyboard effect in the back is ill. Dre sounds like his voice is sped up a little...I can't wait for this to drop.
14354, i like it
Posted by Von Pea, Thu Jul-10-03 03:13 PM
thats all that matters to me....the rest of yall tripping. yall need acceptance and support on whether you like or dislike a song...not me

Von Pea - "The Beatmaker"
featuring THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN.

(my weblog...updated July 6th)

14355, word
Posted by RamXL, Thu Jul-10-03 05:23 PM
feelin this.
-edit-
an ode to chuck and the ghetto boys at the end...damn!

i need this album....

one,
-ram
14356, yup
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Thu Jul-10-03 05:37 PM
3:3
14357, of course I had to give it multiple spins but
Posted by VonClay, Thu Jul-10-03 05:56 PM
I like this joint. The songwriting is eehh but everything else is on point. I'm actually feeling this one more than the other 2 joints that I have heard.

The Face cut killed it towards the end too.
14358, the songwriting
Posted by copperwings, Fri Jul-11-03 02:06 AM
is fire
"make me want you
make me miss you
make me wonder where you are
then forget you"

come on - i had to come out of two year lurker mode on
this one cuz lyrics don't have to be complicated to be
or verbose to be good - sometimes simplicity does more
14359, FIRE
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Thu Jul-10-03 06:03 PM
Hot damn

Rare Form Promotions
http://www.dropheavy.net/rareform
*coming soon...!*
14360, everyone wishin for the next shite...
Posted by albinored, Thu Jul-10-03 07:03 PM
i think u hearin an example of the limitless boundaries that hiphop can head too and i give dre big ups for it.

go head go head!

i need to be smokin whatever the dungeon family be puffin on. cause they dont give a fu@k what the haters say they just do what they want, and people juss mad cause they aint make the track first.
14361, That is not Hip Hop but
Posted by VonClay, Thu Jul-10-03 07:19 PM
it is a Hip Hop artist doing some next shit that came out fly.

He might be part of the future.
14362, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by classic77, Thu Jul-10-03 11:02 PM
This is definitely some beautiful music hip hop or not. I hope they push the album up instead of continuing to push it back. September 9th needs to get here fast.
14363, DAMN!!!!
Posted by L_O_Quent, Fri Jul-11-03 12:24 AM
these cat's will have certified the title of the greatest group in hip hop now.

I'm speechless...
14364, DON'T FRONT THIS IS GODDAMN ILL
Posted by Nicolay, Fri Jul-11-03 12:34 AM
Nicolay

|

Jamming your radar in 2003:

FOREIGN EXCHANGE (Phonte & Nicolay) - "Connected"
NICOLAY - "City Lights" hosted by LUNCHBOX
JUSTUS LEAGUE - "Mixtape Volume I: NC State Of Mind"
SUPASTITION - "Chain Letters" EP

14365, shit iz dope to me. n/m
Posted by Preach, Fri Jul-11-03 03:12 AM
www.kindablu.com www.kindablu.com www.kindablu.com
14366, shit is still dope
Posted by Menphyel7, Fri Jul-11-03 04:57 AM
I'm loving this. This is my damn jam of the moment.
14367, makes me wanna go pull out Stankonia again
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Fri Jul-11-03 11:37 AM

14368, did i mention i like this?
Posted by spirit, Fri Jul-11-03 11:51 AM
boom, there you have it.

of course, i like a great deal of the singer/rappers: mos def, lauryn, devin, cee-lo, q-tip...i even liked that "i wanna talk to the mayor, the governor...etcetera" hook that nas sung, but i don't think i heard his other singing attempts.

oh yeah, and ODB's "sweet honey pie", which set it all off! LOL.

damn, i had to edit. i forgot about Biz. "just a friend" set it off. hahah.

oh wait. maybe cold crush brothers?
14369, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by classic77, Fri Jul-11-03 12:40 PM
This song has been stuck in my head all day and I'm loving it!
14370, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by SPADE, Fri Jul-11-03 01:27 PM
It alright but let's be honest homie was sitting there studying "Always in My Hair". So I hear how original and different Andre is I might puke.
14371, Not really
Posted by copperwings, Sat Jul-12-03 04:29 AM
I'm listening to She's Always in my Hair right now to check the similarities. The songs don't sound alike at all. Maybe in concept She lives in my lap is similar but it's way more funky than She's always in my hair. It could possibly be construed as the updated 2003 version, but the lyrics are more complex and I don't know much about music theory but the music is heavier in in my lap.
14372, LOL
Posted by BobGeorge3000, Sat Jul-12-03 05:03 AM
Shit sounds like she is always in my hair
what did u listen to?

>I'm listening to She's Always in my Hair right now to check
>the similarities. The songs don't sound alike at all.
>Maybe in concept She lives in my lap is similar but it's way
>more funky than She's always in my hair. It could possibly
>be construed as the updated 2003 version, but the lyrics are
>more complex and I don't know much about music theory but
>the music is heavier in in my lap.

14373, they don't to me
Posted by copperwings, Sat Jul-12-03 05:14 AM
To me those songs don't sound alike...Can anybody back me up on this? I'll admit the concepts are alike but as far as the music I just don't hear it.
14374, like someone said
Posted by copperwings, Sat Jul-12-03 08:29 AM
further up
it definitely sounds more like p-funk than it does like prince -it's just more funk heavy than she's always in my hair...
14375, Ok
Posted by SPADE, Sat Jul-12-03 10:00 AM
I'm throwing up now.
14376, Blending
Posted by EasyStar, Sat Jul-12-03 09:01 PM
He did alot off Blending on this, He Borrowed the foundations from Hip-hop and P-funk. The drums and scratches are straight hip hop. the rest is CLearly George clinton.

He borrowed the HOOK all day from Prince ( she always in my hair) and the cadence and melodie. The lyrics and concept is dre all day. Vocally its more G. Clinton than prince though.

Thats what makes this shit so great...the was at the border of biting...but even bb King said you have to borrow from other artist and add your own flavor and so he did.
14377, RE: Blending
Posted by BobGeorge3000, Sun Jul-13-03 07:57 AM

those drums aint hip hop
the rest is clearly Prince
from the concept to the change of speed in vocals
to the combination of drum programming and guitar
and the hook
the synths and the synth horns
from she is always in my hair to If I was your girlfriend
so you saying Toliet Tisha is mostly James Brown?

> He did alot off Blending on this, He Borrowed the
>foundations from Hip-hop and P-funk. The drums and scratches
>are straight hip hop. the rest is CLearly George clinton.
>
>He borrowed the HOOK all day from Prince ( she always in my
>hair) and the cadence and melodie. The lyrics and concept is
>dre all day. Vocally its more G. Clinton than prince though.
>
>Thats what makes this shit so great...the was at the border
>of biting...but even bb King said you have to borrow from
>other artist and add your own flavor and so he did.

14378, yes
Posted by mareva, Sat Jul-12-03 07:16 AM
vocals definitely fit
the bass keeps it focused and southern and even takens me all the way back to southernplayalistic

yes
14379, up
Posted by Menphyel7, Sat Jul-12-03 06:23 PM
THe Vinyl rip is out in mp3 without the dj and the instrumental to both songs are on it.
14380, decent but had to laugh...
Posted by jomac, Sat Jul-12-03 07:22 PM
- dre is tight but everytime he changes it up, it leaves you wondering like.."Is this really ok or i like it because its from outkast?" have to admit sometimes i'm left lost for awhile.

music-wise, i could listen to this one so far.

14381, i like this
Posted by feelintalibkweli, Sun Jul-13-03 04:43 AM
yeah this is pretty dope
14382, this & Flip-Flop Rock are very tight...
Posted by TheProdigiousPoet, Sun Jul-13-03 01:04 PM

14383, ghetto musik is hot garbage
Posted by reefdogg, Mon Jul-14-03 06:17 AM
until i got to big boi's verse, the song actually calms down a bit and sounds halfway decent. i can't rock this though, i'm sorry. kast, y'all done lost me ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IM - reefdogg1

blog - http://reefinyateef.blogspot.com

jersey - providence - cleveland representa!

Anti-thug.com: Is hip-hop dead?

Brother J: No. not to me, there is a rhythm that you don't disturb. One day you wake up and you just write the best rhyme you wrote in your life. That's rhythm that can’t be imitated. That's the difference between rap and hip-hop. Rap is a improviser "Gimme 4 bars and I'll fill in the gap." Hip hop is that vibe of knowing what kind of rhythm fits there; it may be a vibe or hook, a song a movement of you body… It’s like Zen you can't explain the formulas but if it's in you it just flows.

14384, Just heard it for the first time...
Posted by al_sharp, Mon Jul-14-03 06:18 AM
...and I'm loving it.

*hits play again*

"I'm not saying you're overly naive. I just think you should get into the habit of checking to see when strings are attached. Fortunate for you I'm compassionate enough to throw back what I catch if it's underdeveloped and needs time to grow."
--Sage Francis describes EXACTLY how I feel about some girl.

"al_sharp likes everything...he's like the musical Mother Theresa."
--OKP Clark Kent

Listen to me @ http://www.mp3.com/Al_Sharp

aim: cflartey

Illgaluminati...We'll be waiting...with a gun and a pack of sandwiches.

14385, Love'n it!!!
Posted by bassndaplace, Mon Jul-14-03 06:31 AM
soooo hot!
14386, This shit is sexy as all hell
Posted by Imokuede, Mon Jul-14-03 07:22 AM
don't front!
14387, the more things change....
Posted by DJ Raz, Mon Jul-14-03 07:50 AM
the more they stay the same. this is p-funk y'all. if you ain't hearing it then you ain't fully understood what p-funk is yet. go back and do your homework (some things happened before hip-hop). this vocal track mise well be GC or garry or even belita on it. it's fresh, it's futuristic, it's funk. argue all you want whether it's hip hop or not, i ain't on this planet to listen to hip-hop, i'm here to listen to good funky music however it comes. this is slammin. this is the state of funk 2003.

you go outkast. people up on this board don't even know how to explain what you doing, and this board is generally pretty knowledgeable.

the mothership is hovering over the ATL. don't fear the funk or your nose will grow.

and to get your crate-diggin started, check out mid-90's p-funk like TAPOAFOM or Dope Dogs or Treylewd's solo cd. you will start to hear where the sound dre is tapping into was coming to form. throw in some (yes) prince and some other funk feels and let the genius of dre3000 get in on it and have made the track of the year. i really dig this song and it was nothing like what i expected.

--
DJ Raz..... raz@wfnk.com
(live the funk)..... http://wfnk.com
(hear the funk)..... http://wfnk.com/radio
(buy the funk)....... http://razup.vstoremusic.com

"don't you let me come through your speaker and spook you -
peek a boo! If you haven't got a nutt then the yokes on you
Wait a minute to begin it now let's start from scratch
All your cookies are gone let's see you bake a new batch
It's all goody goody too good to be through
I got a whole lot of nuttin I wanna say to you
Your shit is on the real my shit is all made up?
Smells like some other funker done P'ed in your cup
You a bad motherfucka? So how does it feel
to be standin on nuttin knowing nuttin is real, kid?"
--Lonnie "Meganutt" Marshall, Weapon of Choice, "Glo In Da Dark" c.1996
14388, outkast 3 for 3?
Posted by igors_groove, Mon Jul-14-03 07:51 AM
>so far Outkast is 3 for 3 IMO.

3 for 3? what's number three? where can i hear it? :)
14389, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by Nugette, Mon Jul-14-03 10:11 AM
I'm really curious to hear the song, but the links don't work anymore... or for me at least... anybody know where I can catch it? thanks
14390, RE: Andre 3000 single-"she lives in my lap"
Posted by lovely1, Tue Jul-15-03 07:37 AM
the shit is hot to def. It sounds like the ballad of dorothy paker with camille and a little of the black album throw in that shit is tight.
14391, click on the second link.
Posted by igors_groove, Tue Jul-15-03 03:24 PM
>I'm really curious to hear the song, but the links don't
>work anymore... or for me at least... anybody know where I
>can catch it? thanks

click on the second one. that one should work.

14392, lets go for 200!!!
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Jul-15-03 03:40 PM
lol.
14393, RE: lets go for 200!!!
Posted by boricua_taino, Tue Jul-15-03 07:42 PM
i'm down...
14394, I saw the 199 staring at me
Posted by ArtVandelay, Tue Jul-15-03 08:19 PM
I had to take us to 200.

Right?

Oh, and just to weigh in on this post...

I like it.
14395, MP3 link????
Posted by Castro, Tue Jul-15-03 10:30 PM
A link? An MP3 link...someone? anyone?
14396, RE: MP3 link????
Posted by Menphyel7, Wed Jul-16-03 12:20 AM
drop your aim and I can send it to you or hollar at me at Menphyel7.
14397, inbox.
Posted by Castro, Wed Jul-16-03 12:33 AM
^