Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti understand that this is really about the formula of a "cohesive" album
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=140921&mesg_id=140976
140976, i understand that this is really about the formula of a "cohesive" album
Posted by CinisterCee, Mon Apr-19-10 02:03 PM
because in my opinion... Illmatic is very cohesive.

I acknowledge that The Clipse popular 2006 record was done by The Neptunes entirely.

That doesn't mean that the Neptunes couldn't lace a hot buffet style album. (Obviously... just saying...)

I think the same is in reverse for a lot of "buffet producers" who never got the chance in this day and age to do a WHOLE album.

Sometimes there are all these people involved in making an album that you hear about later like.... "yo did Biz Markie actually produce EPMD's Jane on the low?" or... I heard that The Awesome Two did some of Strictly Business too ("It's My Thing") but the credits don't tell you shit. For the record I think that the brother PMD did his thing as the "Producer" of Strictly Business, if it involved handpicking beats or better source sample records... sorta like Quincy sussing out Toto for Thriller.

HOWEVER!!!!!!

There are a lot of really bad "one producer" albums too. You can't just cite a bunch of classics as having the formula to a cohesive album.