Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectlike I said: I discussed this at length for almost 10 years
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=137665&mesg_id=137832
137832, like I said: I discussed this at length for almost 10 years
Posted by Orfeo_Negro, Tue Oct-19-10 01:56 PM
So forgive my use of shorthand... I just feel I have said this all before. And before. And before. And I'm just not that interested in reiterating most of it.

>stripping the social context?

Striping social context.

Understanding where the blues came from (geographically and spiritally).

Appreciating the social and cultural forces that drove the originators of the blues to play the way they played.

Et cetera.

The fervent "anti-collectivists" like yourself like to focus on the unique genius of individual innovators and that's fine... but I'm sorry, it's not always possible or even realistic to do this.

I mean, if you want to talk about something like the blues, how do we celebrate the innovations of individual in a style of music that developed out of the songs that slaves improvised together *as a community* as they worked the fields? It's ironic, innit?

And can we overlook the circumstances that led to the creation of this music?

I think someone like you would try to say it's unimportant that they happened to be singing these songs because they were forced to work in the hot fields under soul-crushing conditions and they missed their homeland from which they had been snatched.

You'd probably say "Well, let's just analyze the harmony and melody and rhythmic configuration they employed and say they were really smart to come up with that, but a student in the Vienna Music Academy probably would have come up with the exact same music if the slaves hadn't done it first!"

That's bullshit to me. And frankly, I don't even have the patience to engage in that kind of argument anymore, so forgive me if I come off short or "vague."

>i said you don't get any credit/respect for what other members
>of your race have achieved as artists (or rather, you
>shouldn't seek it)

For the last g.d. time, nobody is talking about trying to reap credit or self-esteem from this. Well... I'm not, anyway. The fact that Coltrane killed on the sax don't change the fact that I can't play a lick on that horn.

All I am saying is that "black music" is a concise and convenient way of me to describe certain styles that were developed, promoted and popularized by black people.

The same way that I feel completely comfortable referring to the civilization you and I live in as "Western civilization" despite the fact that it is built on Arab innovations in mathematics, Chinese advances in writing and printing, and a whole lotta electronics and computer developments from Japan.

I'm getting really tired of talking about this, though.