Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThat's about what I figured; I understand that reasoning on
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=137665&mesg_id=137687
137687, That's about what I figured; I understand that reasoning on
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Oct-18-10 01:39 PM
emotional and logical levels, but both that sense of possession and that desire to possess isn't something I've ever felt personally. Thanks for the response though.

White suburban culture doesn't really have an identifiable artistic heritage, and we react to that in different ways. Some try to stake a claim in whatever they admire; most I think just never bother considering the question on a deeper level but are so accustomed to privilege that the thought of being excluded from anything is sort of abstract until confronted head on.

>like if
>your boss moved into your house and was at home chilling on
>your couch when you got home from a long day of work, holding
>the TV remote, w/his feet all up on your coffee table, w/his
>shoes on. just...UGH!

better than smelling his stinky feet, though.

And I work with my pop! Man, I'm telling you... he clips his toenails in the office. And he has some serious nail fungus. His nails are like 1/2" thick and disgustingly yellow. THen they turn black and fall off about twice a year.

>non-whites in America feel put upon, for the most part.
>constantly under attack from Whitey.

The word 'attack' is an interesting choice - you seem to be saying it feels that way even when the intent is not proprietary.

I know there was some discussion recently about what makes interest in (well, I guess that convo was more 'participation in') Black music from us 'acceptable' to you and on what level... that might be a separate post but would def. be an interesting discussion for me to read.