Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectbeyonce is the ultimate default choice.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=134603&mesg_id=134723
134723, beyonce is the ultimate default choice.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Mar-15-10 02:56 AM
he basically said we have to make SOMEBODY the heir to mj, so lets choose beyonce because she fits the bill on some basic qualifications that we can check on a list. lol. a lot of over thinking going on. he stated his case very well, however the old adage remains true: you can put lipstick o a pig, but it's still a pig.

before anyone freaks out, no, i'm not calling beyonce's mediocre ass a pig. i'm not calling quest a pig. i'm calling the very idea that yonce is mikes "heir" a pig. actually, the idea that there is an heir is a pig. THERE IS NO HEIR!! the line is done! over! finished!

as it is beyonce holds a title that has no current value, she reigns because there are no options. who else is there? she also reigns because of a serious lowering of standards in a generation of lazy, simpleton standard novelty ring tones. yonce ain't even mariahs heir, or whitneys heir. i mean.. halo? replaceable? if i were a boy? these songs are so mundane, cliche and void of imagination i can't even pencil her in as the next toni braxton. how the fuck is she the next MIKE? a once in a lifetime artist?

mike's gone. his absence does not dictate that one must be crowned to fill his role. quest here is nothing more then another overzealous talking head with an itchy trigger finger. beyonce's success is nothing more then the savvy marketing of a good (read: not great) singer while keeping a finger on the pulse of what's "hot" in top 40 radio. there is nothing about her work, nothing in it's sound, substance, or structure that screams "Legacy". mike's work is meticulously crafted inter-generational brilliance with a sonic personality all it's own, not the cookie cutter factory marketing that permeates beyonce's merely serviceable, hardly sensational catalog.

quest is simply trying his hand as a hipster taste maker targeting the pop culture choice that goes against the grain of his perceived leanings in the world of music. it worked when he did it with jay, because it was an honest statement that lacked any of the contrivance and pretense of this hilarious nonsense. yonce ain't even got deborah cox pipes for crying out loud. and you wanna call her the heir to michael jackson?