Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectit's not going to work in a hip hop context with sample laws as is.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=126995&mesg_id=127060
127060, it's not going to work in a hip hop context with sample laws as is.
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Jul-01-09 02:22 PM
caveat: I'm not the best pick to say this simply b/c I lack the in depth background with both punk and hip hop. But this is the first thing that occurred to me and near as I could tell noone's brought it up yet.

>Something needs to come along and reduce this shit back to
>its basest elements.

>of whom probably have a TI joint on their ipood workout
>playlist).

lmao at 'i poo'd'

>Rap is long overdue for a watershed 'punk rock' reaction in
>the vein of the Stooges or Ramones first two records.

to take the comparison seriously, what did punk do? The way I see it, it took away the increasing emphasis on instrumental wizardry, all the proggy and arena influences, and back on fun, solid pop songs played fast and loud.

Then: what would be the hip hop equivalent of three chord pop songs played loud & fuzzy?

I don't know, but my first thought is that it would involve a return to loops & big crunchy beats. A return to 2 turntables.

Most of you might come up with a different interpretation of what it would mean, I dunno. But if I'm at all close, it'd have to be a completely underground thing, which means it'll never be what you're looking for.

On the other hand, it's hard for me to imagine where pop music can go that it hasn't already... it's hard for me to imagine what pop music 'moving forward' might mean. Who knows... maybe throat singing will be the next autotune? Genre name: Dub Steppe.