Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectmy trance experience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=120973&mesg_id=121105
121105, my trance experience
Posted by howisya, Mon Dec-22-08 11:33 PM
i had a roommate in my sophomore year of college (2002-2003) who, of all of electronic music, only listened to trance. i used to give him shit about it for two reasons. 1. he'd never paid for it, only downloaded tracks on p2p... he pointed out to me that to his knowledge there weren't trance albums and it was difficult to impossible to buy trance (not a completely satisfying answer to me but i didn't argue). 2. i thought it was awful. i was a total snob about it because i listened to pretty much everything else in electronic music *but* trance. i thought trance was too repetitive, too slick, too cheesy, and too damn happy. it wasn't until "my love" and all the productions that came in its wake that i woke up to the good things about trance. it also made me assess my music collection and realize that some of the artists i like and even love made some music that was effectively trance (or at least the music was "trance-like"), just not the trance my roommate played. i still don't listen to it as a genre, but i haven't really made fun of it in a couple years either. it was nice to be humbled. anyway, i'd start with psy-trance before the mainstream trance club king pauls (van dyk and oakenfold).