Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: Anyone heard 'London Zoo' by The Bug?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=120973&mesg_id=121051
121051, RE: Anyone heard 'London Zoo' by The Bug?
Posted by inpulse, Thu Dec-18-08 09:12 AM
>>until Amadou & Miriam came out.
>
>who dat
>

Malian group. They're dope, but I'm really surprised at how well they have been doing the past few years. Manu Chao produced their last record, which was really good. Haven't heard the new one. I hate to be a cynic, but they do have a nice little backstory that I'm sure helps. They are both blind, and fell in love at a school for the blind, and got married. Not that that is the secret to their success, but I'm sure it gets people's attention.

>
>>Generally, it's not too often that an electronic album
>>does that well on Metacritic.
>
>didn't the field's album do pretty well last year on
>metacritic?
>

That was one exception I thought of, too. I think Burial did also. Ratatat maybe? I'm sure there have been others as well. But generally speaking, electronic doesn't get much coverage on Metacritic. Seems like it's gotta be a crossover artist for them to take note.

>
>>So I'm thinking it's time I looked into it. Anyone else
>heard
>>it?
>
>i'm going to have to now after reading the above press. it got
>good buzz all year (everywhere but here, where there wasn't a
>single mention of it that i can recall). i liked the bug's
>previous album on rephlex.

Yeah, it's probably gotten more press than any other non-mainstream electronic album this year. And I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I haven't checked it out yet. I'm losing my edge. (c) LCD

>
>btw, i have more info on that previous inbox message you sent
>me, if you're interested.

I inboxed you back a few minutes before you posted this...