Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: How many here are into the whole Experimental Electronic genre?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=120973&mesg_id=120984
120984, RE: How many here are into the whole Experimental Electronic genre?
Posted by howisya, Wed Dec-17-08 01:50 AM
>Well, I mean, yeah. Granted WATMM is very informative and
>hilarious, but rarely ever has serious discussion. xltronic
>isn't as informative as it is a cool forum, but still there is
>a lack of serious discussion (to me anyways).
>Ninjatune...I've known the label for ages, never even
>considered going to the forum. I did know that Planet Mu had
>a forum haha

oh, the planet mu forum sucks, too. it's the same type of people as the other forums i linked. i will only go there if i need to know something planet mu-related or if some artist posted something of note there. xltronic and ninja tune i won't go to at all, and watmm i'll visit a few times a year to see what albums came out or are coming out soon that i didn't know about or maybe compare my reaction to an album with theirs. my tolerance level for these people is very low.

>I did a search for "IDM" before I made this topic and all I
>found were like two other massively old topics. Link plx?

just look up these:
aphex
autechre
squarepusher
wonky
prefuse
flying lotus (use AND)
burial
dubstep

that should get you all of them. even the discussions that are a few weeks old are still interesting (in my opinion) and can be bumped up with a reply, unlike the archives.

>>source or it didn't happen
>
>It was on...The Guardian, I believe?

yeah, there's a topic about that (see above to find), squarepusher took over as guest editor recently. i don't think i've read that yet, so it could be there. i used to link that video interview on squarepusher.net ('hello everything' era) where the interviewer shows him the clip of andre gushing over how great he is, and from tom (squarepusher)'s reaction i thought that he was touched, but i guess it's vague enough that it's possible he wasn't all that familiar with outkast. that's a pity, if true, because those are 2 of my favorite artists, and i held out slight hope for some kind of collaboration.

>Some British interview
>he did, but if you really read what he was saying, he was more
>concerned about the lyrical content of what it would consist
>of, how seriously they would take him and basically had a
>misconception for the type of artist Andre 3000 is (and Hip
>Hop in general). He was very negative in the interview
>despite how positive he was on camera.

i will try to get to that soon. i'm surprised though because tom did some feeble rapping on his last few albums.

>Just A Souv dropped like a few weeks ago! Quaristice is old
>news yeah but still

yeah, but with the way people download leaked albums and play them out long before they're released, i was trying hard to get a discussion going for the squarepusher album, and back in the spring i had a pretty long topic about 'quaristice' but half of it was off-topic about the genre and about autechre's general recordings and live performances. half of the people who addressed the album basically said they'd try to pick it up or listen to it, but few of them ever said what they thought. it can be really aggravating to get a real conversation going here about specific "IDM" albums, so i've mostly given up.