Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThis is where you went wrong right here:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11995&mesg_id=12234
12234, This is where you went wrong right here:
Posted by dRAZ, Thu Oct-23-03 03:59 AM
"I ain't hatin' I am just waiting for Hip-hop to be more of a movement than a form of entertainment"

Honestly, Hip Hop as a whole will not be specifically what you are lookin for , especially as long as the industry sees it as the major money maker. Music, IS entertainment, but it can be used as a vehicle for movement.

I personally like having the choice of whether listening to Scarface or The Roots, yeah you may not catch the stuff you like on radio, but really, when did we start to put all our hopes and dreams on radio? The only thing the internet has done good is make the independant hip hop (so-called underground) easier to access, so I don't have to wait for that one college radio show to play it, I can cop it if I'm feelin it, from the store.

Problem is, that most people that listen to the radio ASSume that thats the only thing thats available to them. Its like having the age old discussion with your pops about hip hop.
He says, its only that shoot'em up bang bang, fuck a bitch, sell drugs and drive expensive cars and chains.
You know there is more to it than that, but how do you prove it other than sit HIM down in the living room and play ATCQ, PR and CL Smooth, Talib and MOs, LB, De La, like he did to YOU when you were 12 and he caught you listenin to NWA yell "fuck the police".
People will assume its not there if they haven't heard/seen it for themselves.

Hip Hop is like chili. there's a lot of ingredients in there, but to the naked eye you only see beans and meat and the sauce. Once you get that first taste though, you realize what else is in the mix. Each ingredient could stand on thier own, maybe, but its so much better when its in the pot.