Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: But who's hating?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11995&mesg_id=12210
12210, RE: But who's hating?
Posted by NinthWonder, Wed Oct-22-03 12:46 AM
>If you favorite Artist is saying it.....

C'mon man, if your favorite emcee tells you to check for "so and so's" next album, you'll believe him over a cat that you don't know coming up to you saying the same thing.

True indeed. If I am the catalyst to bring this topic to a head, then so be it. C'mon man, for real, you seen hate in cats on here, about ANYTHING. It may not be you, or a couple of others, and it is not because you gave criticism on the new Jay song.......

No matter how "big" or popular someone gets on here, they are still on okayplayer. I am still a player, for real. I rep it wherever I go.

See, what you and I are doing is called an honest discussion over opinion. You're seeing what I'm saying, and vice versa. That doesn't happen on here too often. Cats don't read posts all the way through, they like to paraphrase people's shit, then jump up and down on people's CONCISE opinions. People like to get on here and say "PRINCE IS WACK" or "I DON'T SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS ABOUT COMMON'S RESURRECTION?" and just heard of prince like 3 years ago, or JUST heard the Common record....ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? You cannot go back and understand Prince 1999 if you just heard it.....sorry. Do you know if that shit was said in BROAD DAYLIGHT in front of the wrong cat or a group of the wrong cats that the cat would get hurt? Like for real.... get hurt! How much WEIGHT does your opinion hold with saying shit like that. That why cats use the player to say shit like that. Its because they KNOW what time it is. We had something called "hip-hop bible", where you deserved to smacked by saying some dumb shit like "ONLY BUILT FOR CUBAN LINX IS WACK".......SMAAAAACK!!!!! You couldn't even hang out with cats anymore after that. Carry that shit to another website. You can't hang out here. I like debates and heated discussion like the next man, but be able to back your shit with some weighted statements. A few can, A LOT CANNOT.

I mean, cats may think I got it jumped off because of the Jay post, but its a general feeling across the boards. Its a gambit of different posts. I put a don't believe the hype post up here about a year ago, stating that DO NOT FEED INTO OKAYPLAYER HYPE WHEN IT COMES TO ANY ARTIST. Don't let hype determine if you like the cat, and if you don't like it, don't bring the artist down, or their skill level down. State your opinion about the joint, and step. Simple. Don't say, "well I don't think they are all that lyrically" or "the beats are okay" and in the same breathe turn around and praise all these underground cats that talk about all this supa dupa phenomenon shit that don't make no sense and don't rap on beat AT ALL, verses are 50 bars, NO HOOK, beat is all over the place just to say they are underground???? C'mon, what the fuck is that? Maybe I'm the one that is fucked up, maybe I can't get with it. Maybe the shit is over my head. Not sure, but the shit makes no sense to me at all.

Think for yourself. cats like to hate on "commercial" shit.....you can see a pattern from certain cats......."Lil Jon is wack" or "Down South is garbage".....and then turn around in the same breath and praise the majority of cats who wears a quote en quote backpack......

I know you seen it on here man. Maybe you haven't been on here that long, but I've on the boards for about 3 years now. Its been a constant problem on here. Maybe my contact with the industry at large sparked it as well, 'cause people on here swear up and down that the "underground" cats are FOR THE CULTURE, and the "commercial" cats are some egotistical assholes that don't have a clue about THE CULTURE at large. I used to think the same way, until I met a some "real emcees", that were pure assholes, and some "commercial" cats that were down to earth as hell. It depends on the person, for real.

A majority of the boards cry about hip-hop going back or close to the way it used to be, but if cats continue to be CLOSEMINDED when it comes to rap as a whole, not just one song, but the culture as a whole, it ain't never coming back.

Please Believe it.....

Peace