Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject1983 and 1984 in review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=113555&mesg_id=113688
113688, 1983 and 1984 in review
Posted by jaywonder, Thu Dec-04-08 03:41 PM

Throughout 1983 and 1984, Michael Jackson was the #1 man in the entertainment industry. From November
1982 to December 1984, Michael released 12 singles:

The Girl Is Mine (Pop #2, R&B #1, UK#8)
Billie Jean(Pop #1, R&B #1, UK# 1)
Beat It(Pop #1, R&B #1, UK #3)
Wanna Be Startin Somethin'(Pop #5, R&B #5, UK #8)
Happy(UK #52)
Human Nature(Pop #7, R&B #27)
P.Y.T.(Pop #10, R&B #46, UK #11)
Say Say Say(Pop #1, R&B #2, UK #2)
Thriller(Pop #4, R&B #3, UK #10)
Somebody's Watching Me(Pop #2, R&B #1, UK #6)
Farewell My Summer Love(Pop #38, UK#7)
Girl You're So Together(UK #33)

In 1983, Michael, under pressure from his family, decided to join in to work on the sixth Jacksons
LP titled "Victory" and the accompanying tour. To promote the tour, the group, now including Jermaine
again, signed with PepsiCo to a sponsorship deal. During the filming to the commercial "The Concert",
a pyrotechnics malfunction caused sparks to shoot upon Michael's hair, setting it on fire.
Michael's brother Tito and friend/bodyguard Miko Brando(son of Marlon) quickly came to his aid
(Miko tried to pat the fire out, causing his hands to have burns)
Michael was rushed to Cedars Sinar hospital and suffered second degree burns(He would get skin graf surgery
shortly therafter)
That same month, Michael was nominated for a record 12 Grammy Awards. In february, he won 8 of those awards
winning the most Grammys in one night. He also won 8 Grammy Awards.

To ride on the wave of Michael's success, Motown Records released "Farewell My Summer Love"
9 song compilation of songs Michael recorded from January to October 1973. Motown released
the album in May, 2 months before the Victory album was supposed to be released. The album
peaked at #46 on the Billboard 200 and #9 in the UK, spawning 2 singles, the title track, and
"Girl You're So Together"

Work on the Victory album was done by that time and was released on July 6, 1984,the same day as
the tour's opening night in Kansas City at Arrowhead Stadium. Recording sessions began a couple of months
after the release of "Thriller". One song missing from the album was the actual title track,
which was a duet with The Jacksons and Freddy Mercury of Queen.............

The Michael Jackson/Freddie Mercury Sessions
----------------------------------------------
(From Peter Freestone's bio"Freddie Mercury:An Intimate Memoir")

Michael invited Freddie to Hayvenhurst in the summer of 1983 and took Freddie and Peter on a tour of the estate. They visited Michael's bedroom, which shocked Freddie when he saw that Michael's bed was a mattress. Michael said that he preferred "to be closer to the earth", to which Freddie replied "But you're on the first floor!"

What impressed Freddie was that Michael had his triple platinum disc award for "Thriller" just leaning against the wall. Freddies thought it showed great style.
Freddie wasn't a showoff, as he also used hiis gold and platinum awards as wall coverings than trophies.

In the studio, Michael and Freddie were the only ones with Freddie onthe piano and Freestone palying "the toilet door".
They recorded 3 songs, "Victory", "State Of Shock", and "There Must Be More To Life Than This". On "Victory", there was no drummer or drums, and Michael wasn't fond of the sound the
drum machine gave so Freestone ended up slamming the bathroom door for 5 minutes in the rhythym. "On There Must Be More To Life Than This", Michael ended up composing his own lyrics as he went along. They worked for about 5 or 6 hours and ended at 6 pm.

In the car, Freddie said to Freestone he admired Michael's creativity, but question his style in decorating the house

The two split the songs, with Freddie recording "There Must Be More To Life Than This" for his
album "Mr. Bad Guy", and Michael re-recorded "State Of Shock" with Mick Jagger. Victory remains
unreleased. The two remained good friends until Freddie's unfortunate passing in 1991.

THE VICTORY TOUR
----------------------
In July 1984, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael, and Randy went back on the road
for the "Victory" Tour to support the Victory album and commemorate the 20th anniversary of the
group's formation and the 15th anniversary of the release of "I Want You Back"
Originally named "The Final Curtain", it was renamed because they didn't want to put emphasis
on the issue.
One of the biggest controversies during the Tour, was the subject how to buy tickets. Those
wanting to see the concert had to buy the tickets in blocks of four, with a limit of one block of four per address.
Also, tickets must be paid for using a US Post Office money order, using the original application form found in participating newspapers;
copies of forms not allowed. Because of these requirements, some post offices had run out of money orders,
and some enterprising entepreneurs bought extra copies of newspapers with an application form,
for cities that don't have a participating newspaper.
It is unknown if these ticket restrictions were in place for the entire tour, or if they were loosened later on.
Much of the blame was in fact put on Michael(many saw the tour NOT as a Jacksons tour, but The Michael Jackson show)
Michael took matters into his own hands and made a press conference saying he was working with the promoters
to fix the problem and that he was donating his earnings to charity.

Victory tour set list:
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Things I Do For You
Off The Wall*
Ben/Human Nature
This Place Hotel
She's Out Of My Life
Let's Get Serious
You Like Me Don't You*
Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin'
I Want You Back"/The Love You Save
I'll Be There
Rock With You
Lovely One
Working Day And Night
Beat It
Billie Jean
Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
(*Off The Wall was not performed during the last show in Los Angeles and instead of You Like Me Don't You, Jermaine performed Dynamite)

There was talk of a European tour but Michael was against it, so during the last date in
Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium, Michael made the announcement that it would the Jacksons' last concert.
One thing: He didn't tell his brothers!

The dates:
North America
July 6 - July 8, 1984 Kansas City United States -Arrowhead Stadium
July 13 - July 15, 1984 Dallas United States -Texas Stadium
July 21 - July 23, 1984 Jacksonville United States -Gator Bowl
July 29 - July 31, 1984 East Rutherford United States -Giants Stadium
August 4 - August 5, 1984 New York City United States -Madison Square Garden
August 7 - August 9, 1984 Knoxville United States -Neyland Stadium
August 17 - August 19, 1984 Detroit United States -Pontiac Silverdome
August 25 - August 26, 1984 Buffalo United States -Rich Stadium
September 1, September 2, September 28 and September 29, 1984 Philadelphia United States -JFK Stadium
September 7 - September 8, 1984 Denver United States -Mile High Stadium
September 17 - September 18, 1984 Montreal Canada -Olympic Stadium
September 21 - September 22, 1984 Washington, D.C. United States -RFK Stadium
October 5 - October 7, 1984 Toronto, Ontario Canada -Exhibition Stadium
October 12 - October 14, 1984 Chicago United States -Comiskey Park
October 19 - October 20, 1984 Cleveland United States -Municipal Stadium
October 19 - October 20, 1984 Atlanta United States -Fulton County Stadium
November 2 - November 3, 1984 Miami United States -Orange Bowl
November 9 - November 10, 1984 Houston United States -Astrodome
November 16 - November 18, 1984 Vancouver, British Columbia Canada BC -Place Stadium
November 30 - December 8, 1984 Los Angeles United States -Dodger Stadium

1984 was the end of the promotion for the Thriller album, especially since Michael had began
writing for his next LP

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cpduvq.jpg

http://searchwithkanyewest.prodege.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=236854