Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectLots of Thought(s)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=105529&mesg_id=105677
105677, Lots of Thought(s)
Posted by jbenok, Wed Apr-23-08 11:12 PM
I def. understand why main stream critics like the folks at EW didn't feel the somber, down-trodden tone of the album. It most likely will not appeal to the mass music audience, and damn, was it a good choice to go with "Rising Up" as the single. And y'all already know how I feel about that track, being a Wale stan and all.

Personally, this is my type of music. And more importantly, this album really feels like it was made for the fans, aka, the non shit talkers here on the boards. If you're not down with this music, I feel sorry for you. As HV said above me, it's sonically pleasing and just a great album to play front to back.

"I Can't Help It": This track started out to be slightly unremarkable, and then P.O.R.N. ripped his verse, and the breakdown at the end was something beautiful.

"Criminal" is superb. When I first heard it this morning, I almost missed class because I had been listening to it on repeat completely losing track of time. I don't usually like rappers ending a verse with "fuck you," but hell, Saigon, I guess you're the exception.

While listening to this in headphones, I really started to pay closer attention to the songs that have already leaked. For example, 'Riq's verse on "Rising Down"? Incredibly real and on point.

Von said this above, but the intro, yeeeah. Have never really been a *huge* fan of Roots intros, but this one was crazy. I just wish the music had looped for about 10 more minutes.

I will play "Unwritten" for everyone I know. Every party I DJ this summer will be forced to hear this track.

Glad to hear Malik again and again. Because 2002 was my first real experience with a Roots album, it took me awhile to go back to the 90s' albums and pay attention to dude. Once Game Theory dropped, I really got my education and have appreciated Malik more and more. He's not really on Thought's level, but he's certainly still ahead of most emcees rapping today.

?uest, thank you for the end of "Lost Desire."

Com is still rapping in that Finding Forever tone. But 'tis cool, because his verse was eons ahead of that "Light 2008" bullshit he spit a little while back.

"I can't help that my heartbeat is a metronome." STFU, 'Riq haters.

And to the Legendary, thank you fellas. All dick-riding aside, you're still my favorite group in music and so far this album is remarkable work. I can't wait to run down to the record store and cop on Tuesday.