Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectand we change history again...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=96856&mesg_id=97067
97067, and we change history again...
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Oct-25-07 08:20 AM
This kills me every time. The rare occasion that I come onto the Lesson I see folks ranting stuff 180 degrees away from what they were saying a few years ago.

When Voodoo came out, you all thought it was the shit. Okay AFKAP still had his comments against it but just about everyone treated that album like the holy grail of R&B.

It wasn't til damn near when Mama's Gun bombed that people started shit talking about Neo Soul. Before that the only people that said anything against it were just talking about how they hated the TERM Neo Soul.

Honestly I don't even think it had a chance to get played out. It doesn't seem like the big forerunners of it even made another album after Mama's Gun (D' hasn't, Badu only had an EP, if you want to add Lauryn Hill, she's not had an LP, just the unplugged...no for Q-Tip, no for Bilal...), the torch was just carried (badly) by the second and third string of folks...which in the first place was far more poppier and digestible. India.Arie, Musiq, Jill Scott, Alicia Keys.

And I really don't think you can say that those four artists were lacking for catchy hooks. Shit, that's all they had going for them really (maybe excepting Jill Scott).

I do wonder if everyone would be singing a different tune if D'angelo and even Badu had dropped follow-up albums in 02 or 03.