Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectMusically, I think the P-Funk earth tour crew of 1976-77 was the greatest...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=58908&mesg_id=59052
59052, Musically, I think the P-Funk earth tour crew of 1976-77 was the greatest...
Posted by jambone, Fri Feb-03-06 04:56 PM
...Parliament-Funkadelic group phase.

Look at the lineup:

George - Head Producer, Songwriter, and Lead Vocals, Conceptual director
Glenn Goins - Lead Vocals, Guitar
Garry Shider - Lead and Background Vocals, Guitar
Garry Cooper - Lead and Background Vocals, Drums, guitar
Bootsy - Bass, Guitar, Drums, rhythm arrangements, co-producer, made most of the tracks for p-funk.
Cordell "Boogie" Mosson - Bass
Bernie - Horn Arrangements, Keyboards, co-producer
Debbie Wright, Jeannette Washington - Background Singers
The Original Parliaments - Fuzzy, Grady, Calvin,Raymond
Michael Hampton - Lead Guitar, rhythm guitar
Eddie Hazel - Lead Guitar
Jerome Brailey - Drums
Tyrone Lampkin - Drums
Bootsy's Rubber Band
Horny Horns

Now there were other musicians that were better that came along like Rodney "Skeet" Curtis (man, he could play some bass, damn!!!) and master of music, Walter "Junie" Morrison, Blackbyrd McKnight, and Lynn Maybry and Dawn Silva. But I think by then the dissension and money squabbles had sapped the unity and comraderie of the group. Something was missing. That spirit was missing. Sure, Fukentelchy, and One Nation albums are arguably the best p-funk records, but I felt something was missing from those albums. I can't put my finger on it, but something was missing. Same with Booty's 2nd album compared to the 3rd album. His 2nd album was much stronger, IMO. Maybe George was spreading himself too thin with all the chaos going around him. Plus, it seemed like the music started to get soft. That is why I never liked the Motor-Booty album. Its just too soft and mellow. Its got "Junie" (a.k.a J.S. Theracon, lol!!!) written all over it. Thats great for "Junie" type music. I love Junie's music, but it wasn't that "P" we were getting in the funk before. I don't know.