Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectquiet as it's kept...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=4302&mesg_id=4533
4533, quiet as it's kept...
Posted by Foneticcus, Wed Oct-27-04 07:15 PM
i feel Afkap on this one...

but ironically, what he's saying is to some extent an indictment of both him and Warren. there's a lot of hypocrisy w/ the SaRa fans i've been seeing...

1) slamming NERD for the lack of musicianship displayed when most of these pre-album SaRa tracks have very little musicianship to my ear. yeah, they're complex (as in filled w/ much sound). but that doesn't make them evidence of musical talent...NERD make great music on very little musical ability. SaRa may have ability, but so far it's not being displayed...so they definitely on a level playing field w/ Chad & Skateboard P.

2) slamming Cody for his obscenity/profanity/whatever-y, & yet heartily embracing SaRa's (albeit enjoyable) crassness? it DEFINITELY is an image thing here, cuz the strongest argument Warren's given has been "Cody sounds corny doing it. SaRa doesnt" which is ridiculous to me 'cuz even the very statements SaRa have been using sound corny in themselves...there's no artifice, no art at all in lines like that...it's a blatant translation from reality to art, to the point where one would wonder if such lyricism IS art. Cody tries to do things w/ language. as a writer, as a poet, i appreciate that heartily...SaRa just takes pillowtalk & puts it to music. now if that's yr thing, cool (i'm definitely feeling SOME of these tracks, so i ain't here to complain), but don't call Cody corny for actually using his brain rather than his phallus to come up w/ lyrics...

please.

& let's dispense w/ the "oh, it's not a real album" talk, b/c like it has already been mentioned, these are songs they made of their own volition & made to completion, to the extent that they perform them in public & endorse them as uninhibited products of their own work.

it's definitely valid to draw comparisons...