Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectwhat's clever, exciting or funny about 'be my bitch'?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=4302&mesg_id=4497
4497, what's clever, exciting or funny about 'be my bitch'?
Posted by Orfeo_Negro, Wed Oct-27-04 01:02 AM
i mean, apart from the fact that it is a pretty grimy, well-written tune from a MUSICAL perspective. i actually like the song quite a bit, but the lyrics... i dunno. they don't offend me or even cause me to erupt in fits of laughter, but they...

let's be serious: for those of you who are likening this kind of thing to P-Funk's "freakiness," let's compare this to Funkadelic's "be my beach":

"she's a lot of fun, she likes to come on much too strong
she's a lot of fun, think that she's the only freak been born
as a matter of fact, she's not the only sand at the beach
or to be exact, there's a whole lot of beaches"

there's a level of wordplay there, of cleverness and wit that you're not getting in "be my bitch"... and the fact that it was rare to hear this kind of talk in an R&B song in 1975 has to be factored in as well.

today, in 2004 we've heard scores and scores of casually misogynistic songs calling women bitches for what? 15 years now? to be honest, i think this song would have been slightly more interesting - but only *slightly* - had it been sung with a female lead vocal. as it is, it ain't offensive but it's uninspired. "be my bitch"? that's the best you can come up with?

and then SOMEBODY gonna turn around and say that "i push my seed in her bush for life" is **pretentious**? i mean, at least it uses METAPHORS... and i'm not saying the song is particularly "deep," but at least the dude tried to express himself above a level of "i stick my dick in that ass tonight," which he very well could have said.

but this ain't about Cody, or holding him up as a standard of anything... i just think that some of you are being extremely dishonest here.