Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: i don't think you're being honest with yourself
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=4302&mesg_id=4312
4312, RE: i don't think you're being honest with yourself
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Oct-26-04 08:56 AM
>first of all, i don't see how it matters whether or not they
>have a full album out. these are lyrics that they wrote and
>they perform in public.

I still don't see it as a fair comparison. And as I've repeated several times...it's not the fact that they used the words, it's the context in which they are used....From Cody=Corny....from Sa-RA=not corny. I mean that's just my opinion.

think about it for a minute...why would Warren Coolidge dismiss an artist JUST because they used some sexual language??? being that he's a P-funk fan...a Rick James Fan...a Prince fan....So obviously there is more to it than just the usage...The way it was used from Cody sounded corny....seemed like he was trying to hard to fit in...but again, that's just how it sounded with me. Very pretentious.

and almost every song has lyrics
>like this, so i don't think it's an anomaly

um....not the one's iv'e heard.

>
>also, they talk about "cocks" a lot... in my experience,
>women tend to be a bit more offended by the c-word than the
>d-word

could you give examples? because I think this is a bit of an exaggeration...

but again...whatever Sa-Ra's lyrical content is on their demo CDR...nothing jumped out at me like "damn...that was some corny shizt" but first time I heard Cody's album....that jumped out...over time I was able to appreciate him as an artist more...but i certainly don't have the hype you seem to have for him.