Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectYou're waaaaay off in your last statement.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1&mesg_id=233
233, You're waaaaay off in your last statement.
Posted by Whateva, Tue Mar-01-05 04:05 PM
"And to be honest, i wonder about the existence of any “pure” church singing tradition at this point in general. Especially since over the past decade or so, the Church has actually been drawing heavily from radio/MTV/BET in order to reach out to the disaffected youth and halt the rapid “graying” of the Black Church."

Wonder about the existence? A graying Black church? Are you kidding me? So you're saying in black churches they're rapping and singing RNB now to gain members?

I think if you actually visited real black churches, you'd know that the "black church singing tradition" is definitely alive and will never die. It's always been about putting your all, through your voice or instrument, into praising God. It was never about entertainment.It's a wreckless, boundless, shameless worship of the highest form of good; the creator. As long as black people believe and praise God, that sound will never disappear. Never. Churches will continue to teach "make a joyful noise unto the lord." so it'll always be about singing (or playing music) to praise God.

Seems to me like you're basing your conclusion on the popular Christian music market or maybe some BET television sermon.