Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti went through the post.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1&mesg_id=228
228, i went through the post.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Mar-01-05 11:55 AM
- the 1st few paragraphs are about folks like Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, and Tom Petty. i'm not familiar enough w/their stuff to make recommendations...especially not here!

- then comes Keeping Ahead of Whitey: Bebop..."Groovin High", Dizzy G; Soul..."This Little Girl of Mine", Ray Charles

- Whitey catches up: "Please Mr. Postman", The Beatles; "Tutti Frutti", Pat Boone; "You Can't Always Get What You Want", Rolling Stones; "I Want To Know What Love Is", Foreigner (?)

- and Blacks co-opt the trend too: "I Wish" "I Believe.."& "Gotham City", R Kelly.

- Black church singing becomes something anyone can do: "Impossible", Christina Aguilera

- Blacks more influenced by BET/MTV than church, they're faking church just like Whitey: "Dangerously In Love" (Live Version), Beyonce; "Make It Happen", Mariah Carey

- Beyonce: VH1's "Driven: Beyonce"

- few contemporary singers who sound like church: "You Used To Love Me", Faith; "Friend of Mine" (original), Kelly Price

- church draws from MTV/BET: "Stomp", God's Property