Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectpreference is different from not EVEN hearing it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=175277&mesg_id=175452
175452, preference is different from not EVEN hearing it
Posted by k_orr, Wed Jan-11-12 06:09 PM
I prefer to listen to whatever Max B is doing as opposed to what A$AP Rocky is doing (cause i'm from Houston, if I want Houston rap, i'll continue to listen to Slim Thug, thank you very much)

But i've *heard* both. I've heard enough of 1 to not want to keep listening to him, and recognize it's not my cup of tea, but I recognize that others are really feeling it.

And when I haven't heard it, if I know other people are digging it, I seek it out just to be familiar with it.

Same reason I watch sportscenter, read the ny times and the WSJ. I've watched individual episodes of Jersey Shore, Hip Hop Wives, Dances with The Stars, et cetera, so I at least know what those things are about.

At some point in our culture it was important to be familiar with the news and goings on of the day.

But now, not so much. And there are billions of dollars aimed @ personalizing every experience you can have. From cheap bespoke shoes, personalized grocery shopping lists, and smart playlists...

yeah, I mean this issue is bigger than what choices you guys are making with your downtime.

I'm just personally uneasy at the direction that our entire culture is moving.

>of not participating in something that so many others are...
>
>**shrug** or maybe they just don't like Adele or her type of
>music...
>
>or.... maybe they do like that type of music and prefer an
>artist other than Adele...