Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: that's the first place i heard of El Segundo.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172793&mesg_id=172947
172947, RE: that's the first place i heard of El Segundo.
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Jun-30-11 12:06 PM
>good ol' Fred. i never knew that backstory.
>
Me neither until a coworker from Inglewood told me, it was in a longer story explaining how El Segundo cops were generally not fond of black people & how a friend of hers (a black male around 30) had gotten locked up for a full weekend over some traffic ticket bullshit after being pretty much pulled over for 'DWB' anyway.

But yeah, Redd Foxx knew the deal firsthand & took any opportunity he could to take shots in the fashion he could best.

Plus, it's just funny to hear Fred Sanford say 'El Segundo' anyway.

>however, by watching the Tribe video, you'd believe that shit
>was a damn desert. so you're saying it isn't, huh? lol.
>they really fucked that up...lol.

nah, it's not a desert, it's basically home to LAX (technically the airport might be Westchester or LA proper but it's El Segundo), LA's biggest oil refinery, the biggest public beach in the city (Dockweiler, which sadly is bordered across a road by an enormous landfill), and where thousands upon thousands (self-included & I believe DJ-R-Tistic as well) work on a daily basis each week.

It's more a place you work then one you live for most of us, though there is probably 20K people or so that live here as well but on any given week day I'd say there's at least 100-150K people in this 4/5 mile square area (even more crowded when you remove the space reserved for the department of Water & Power, the public beach, the landfill, the airport space, & the refinery space).

Anyway, this is not really a spot you'll want to visit necessarily while you're in the City of Angels but it is a spot you will almost surely pass through getting in and out.

But all that to say yeah, definitely not a desert, lol. Tip musta just pulled the name out of a hat or been watching Sanford & Son himself.