Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectcan't write a song to save his life? au contraire...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169600&mesg_id=169636
169636, can't write a song to save his life? au contraire...
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Jan-22-11 05:19 PM
>He's probably the most talented rapper alive, but he can't
>write a great song to save his life.

in fact, SSLP was full of VERY well written songs. it's one reason it's a classic in my book- i can't think of too many albums with THAT many songs that do such a great job of staying dead on topic (we're talking bullseye's here) from start to finish, with a variety of topics at that. it's spotty after that, but he shows it in quite a few songs (white america comes to mind) since then.

>There's always some gay
>ass angle-he's a psycho, he's white trash, he's being silly,
>he's a recovering addict, he's sick of being famous, he's
>annoyed by boy bands-man just shut up and rap about how good
>you are like Jay-Z and Black Thought do.

erm... i can't ride with this at all man. you're basically trashing him for being creative. the psycho thing worked really well on a few cuts (rehab). his silly songs tend to be pretty good for the most part, and are excellent for what they are. i'm mystified at the hate they get actually, because he tends to be pretty on point most of the time. the anti-boy band thing IS irritating though because he's just a bully with an easy target, which is my biggest beef with em by far. he's never gone at anyone with true skills.

>reflection but it's always super defensive and it's on damn
>near every song.

i can ride with this. this is highly annoying.

>For a guy who's that famous he seems
>bizarrely out of touch with current events and contemporary
>pop music.

i don't understand this, could you expound?

>And he just cannot pick beats that don't sound generic

yeah.... kind of a downer. he's had a few nice ones but by and large his beat selection is one of the worst.

>deliberately aimed for arenas.

this wouldn't bother me so much (i love the 'arena' sound overall) if there weren't so many corny, cheesy, lazy duds.

I thought nearly every beat on
>Recovery sounded the same, so imagine my surprise at finding
>out there were like 7 different producers on it.

oh yeah... good lord was that bothersome.

>I'd love to hear him over Justice League or Mannie Fresh where
>he isn't telling them what he wants, they're instead giving
>him something that's almost finished and just needs lyrics.

i wanna hear him on some alchemist personally, who's usually dark sound- especially as it has evolved ofer the years- is seemingly taylor made for much of em's subject matter.

a disagree with a few pieces of this, but i agree wholeheartedly with the overall sentiment.