Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: 99% of these acts y'all are naming in here.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=157427&mesg_id=157546
157546, RE: 99% of these acts y'all are naming in here.....
Posted by OldPro, Wed Nov-30-11 12:26 PM
>Can't speak for everyone, but I specifically mentioned artists
>I've seen live as examples of having a good live show. There
>are TONS of artists I love (Madlib for example) who I've seen
>live that I readily admit aren't good live lol.

I'm saying there would be a good number of people that would say the same thing about some of the shows you enjoyed. It's just the nature of the genre. The idea of what a good hip hop show is can be all over the place.

>What somebody
>wants from a Bob Dylan show will differ from those at an EWF
>show which will differ from someone at a Chemical Brothers or
>Flying Lotus or Busta Rhymes show.

Of course but we're talking about people who are fans of the artist... they can't even all agree on who's great and who's awful. You throw up a list of the top 5 live hip hop acts today, you're going to have people debating whether or not everyone on that list is even good let alone top 5... Do the same thing 30 years ago and nobody is going to deny anyone on that list is good live. Hell I could take the best 10-15 live acts from back then and they would crush you best 5 live hip hop acts today. I mean respect to the Roots for doing their part to keep the band alive but are they even seeing an act like Midnight Star at their peak? I don't think so.

> You can't take the 70's
>soul-music live show as the end-all, definitive example of
>what makes up a good live performance.

I'm not just limiting this to my era. Check the Cab Callow link above. MJ, Prince, Stevie and all them cats took notes from the great artists of the past. We always had younger generations looking at what came before and building on it... I'm saying we've been steadily losing that over the last few decades.

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/