Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectArmands - Funk O Mart - Sound of Market St - Cue Records
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=155921&mesg_id=155946
155946, Armands - Funk O Mart - Sound of Market St - Cue Records
Posted by bentagain, Fri Sep-23-11 11:55 AM
In that order...

Armands usually had everything I was looking for in new releases. Too easy to drop $100 everytime I walked through the door, especially with all the equipment they sold too.
I bought my coffin setup from them.
Still got it too.

Funk O Mart had all the white labels and a decent amount of vintage vinyl.

Sound of Market St was good for hard to find stuff, and they had the largest collection of vinyl.

Cue records was good for underground hip-hop, but being on South St meant an extra trip, that usually wasn't necessary after I spent all of my money at the first three stops.

I made the trek to Fat Beats a few times as well.

Some of the hand me downs mean the most to me though. Friends' parents old record collections, etc...

I remeber when Common dropped The Corner, and I couldn't find the 12" anywhere, and most of those shops were either closed or stopped selling vinyl altogether.
Kind of forced me to get the virtual DJ setup and start a MP3 collection instead.
Nothing like reading every liner note on a record and checking the cover art while you listen to the album for the first time.
I even hung a few alubms on the walls of my first apartment, like they were paintings.