Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectwhat's "old" mean anymore? outkast = old folks' music, apparently.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=153465&mesg_id=153770
153770, what's "old" mean anymore? outkast = old folks' music, apparently.
Posted by k0la, Thu Jan-26-12 12:09 AM
i'm 25, my younger cousin is 22, and he treats me like i'm 50 or something because i still listen to the rap/r&b i was listening to when i was coming up, as well as the stuff from the earlier 90's/80's. like if i'm jamming ugk or big pun or something, i get the 'what the fuck is this shit?!' reaction. ...but then this kid goes on jams "sorry 4 the wait" like it's the illest mixtape ever. and mind you, there's three years difference between us; he could just as easily be listening to what i listen to. thing is, i still check for new music as voraciously as i did when i was in college or whatever, so i run the spectrum. this kid and his peoples, though...ionno...it's like if you're still jamming "blueprint", you need to hit up AARP.

so i guess if you're about my age, you're officially old to kids who are just a few years younger than you.

i don't mind, but it does make me wonder if all this 'live in the moment'-ness is warping people's concept of time itself.