Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectlet me tell you why you should NOT support Sean Paul
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=145470&mesg_id=145540
145540, let me tell you why you should NOT support Sean Paul
Posted by Wordman, Mon Feb-22-10 03:23 PM
I win free tickets to see him, this is late '90s/early '00s - when he just got big. I'm not all that hype about going, but the lady friend is. We get there on time. It's a reggae show, so there's about two dozen opening acts. No worries.
Sean Paul shows up 90 MINUTES LATE.
I don't mean the doors opened at 9 and he got there at 10:30.
I mean he was supposed to start performing 90 MINUTES AGO.
They had opening acts going back out for another set.
They had, for lack of a better phrase "jump dancers", cats who apparently specialize in jumping four, five feet in the air and then breakdancing.
The jump dancers were on for 30 MINUTES.
Sean Paul FINALLY shows up.
His band do the fastest setup and soundcheck I've ever seen (he had a three or four piece band with him - drums, guitar, bass, keys).
Sean Paul takes the stage. He gives no apology or explanation for being late. He doesn't thank the crowd for staying (he was the only name on the bill really worth seeing).
Then he does a less than 45 minute set.
Less than 45 minutes.
BUT IT GETS BETTER! He and his band are packed, back on the bus and on the highway before we can get out of the venue. This was verified by HALF OF THE CROWD SEEING HIS BUS ON I-95, VISIBLE FROM THE VENUE!!!
I come to expect "Urban music performer time-frame" whenever I go to a show. That's fine. But this was wholly unacceptable.
I will never support Sean Paul. As a performer, as "musician", as an entertainer. I will never buy a Sean Paul album/song. I will never purchase an album/song that FEATURES Sean Paul, I will never DOWNLOAD an album/song. I will never watch a music video, starring or featuring him. I will not support whatever humanitarian efforts he may endorse. I will not support him as a human being.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams