Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectCan we discuss *BAD* concert experiences?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=145470&mesg_id=145470
145470, Can we discuss *BAD* concert experiences?
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Feb-22-10 12:39 AM
My friends and I went out last night to see Snoop Dogg in Cincinnati. It was a small venue, tickets were $40 (plus convenience charges... that is a post for a different day), and we were all excited at seeing the Doggfather in a more 'intimate' setting. So, let me lay the night out for you...

Doors open 7pm, show starts 8pm. That's what the ticket said. Unfortunately, that was not the case...

I saw an itinerary once we were all inside, that said Snoop was not due out until 11pm, after something called The Movie and The Constellations. Nothing happened until 8:40pm, when The Movie showed the making of Snoop's latest album, Malice-N-Wonderland. Apparently, whoever organized and set this up, thought it would be a good idea to show a bunch of drunk people a making of Snoop's latest and shittiest album. No shit... I paid money to see... a fucking movie??? I could of seen this on my couch, only if I had gotten it for free before going to bed on a week night. It also reminded that Snoop has gotten someone like Soulja Boy to be on his albums nowadays.

That horrible decision lasted about 45 minutes, and then the crowd was treated to a band called The Constellations. Not only were they a shitty live band, the sound sucked, and the singer was indistinguishable. I couldn't hear the keyboardist, and there was one guy who was up there pretending to play a guitar. They were booed, outside of mentioning Snoop's name for a cheer.

11 came and gone. My friends and I were so upset and disappointed up to this point, we wanted to leave, however, No Re-entry means you stay or leave for good. At 11:30pm, Snoop finally made an appearance and put on a good show. He played classics from his long catalog, and when he was there, suddenly, I forgot the rest of the night. Not only that, if I was not mistaken (or too drunk that is), I believe Tha Dogg Pound, Soopafly, and Hi-Tek (Cincy baby!) were all live too. That is, until I realized that he only played for under an hour, ending just before 12:30am. An hour. I just saw Jay-Z, and the show lasted 2+ hours, complete with openers J. Cole and NERD.

To sum this up, money was spent to watch a dumb making of movie that was cued up from a DVD player, a shitty band that nearly ruined the show, and an extremely short set from the main act. That equals a waste of money. I will not pay to see him again, and is only worth it as part of a festival. With as many albums and hits as he has, 2 hours should be no problem. I know his attempts at following up Doggystyle have fell short, but cmon, who passes up Snoop Dogg? I know I will next time, I learned my lesson. Highly disappointing.

That's not all, but apparently this has happened a lot on his tour from reading reviews online.

I know this happens. My friend waited until 1am one night to Wale, and when he showed, he only played for 30 minutes. Wale lost a fan that night.

Is this excessive? Should I have been prepared to wait that long? Does this happen and I just was not previously aware?

Add on, let's discuss...