Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: man we used straight loops
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=14481&mesg_id=14522
14522, RE: man we used straight loops
Posted by DTag, Tue Jul-01-03 08:57 AM
Oh man --- I wish I had better news for you...
A copyright is the federal protection of intellectual property. Abuse of it and sale of it is a federal offense...

I feel so bad because you didn't know about all this. You know a good keys player? He or she could duplicate the beats for you and it would be a lot more cost effective and depending on what you recreate, it may or may not need a license once replayed. If you REPLAY just the drums and make it slightly different (sped up, etc.) drums aren't copyrightable on their own but if you use the SOUND RECORDING it is protected so recreating this on your own is better and may not cost much. I'd have to know what you are trying to do (once I listen to your music this week I can guide you better) I can advise you on this.

But please don't sell (anymore) of what you've got there - it will be so so so so so bad if they find you. Financially yes and if they press fed. charges that would be awful.

BUT what YOU can copyright on your own is any melodies and lyrics that you created on your own - do dry recordings (no backtracks ) of those and copyright YOUR stuff in the meantime so you are protected :) d