Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: How do I go about due diligence
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=14481&mesg_id=14510
14510, RE: How do I go about due diligence
Posted by DTag, Tue Jul-01-03 07:27 AM
WHOA! OK - here are some starter questions if you can answer these for me it will help me help you. But you will want a lawyer for this one - especially if you are doing some headhunting.

1. Were you affiliated with ANY Performance Rights society? ASCAP or BMI?

2. Are your songs registered copyrights (with the Library of Congress)

3. Do you have a publishing company on the songs in question?

4. Do you know who has released this music? Is it a label? How did you find out that your music was hot over there?

Unfortunately, if you didn't file a copyright form for your stuff, and you have dated proof that it's yours on a tangible media (CD, Tape, etc.) you will be only moderately protected. To claim the largest amount of royalties with a federal penalty.

If you DID file your copyright with the Library of Congress than you would have full protection. Is it your performance or did someone steal your song?

More information would help me give you more instruction on this matter so please feel free to fill me in.

You will need a lawyer because international things get weird - and there are nuances there that I am not completely aware of to the latest - that knowledge is reserved for attorneys. This is probably an example of a case where I must refer you to a lawyer.