Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: BARRY WHITE DIES AT 58
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=14398&mesg_id=14455
14455, RE: BARRY WHITE DIES AT 58
Posted by Dariusx, Sat Jul-05-03 02:55 PM
I too was saddened to hear the passing of Barry White. He is one of the last of a dying breed of True Musicians. He was a great composer and more importantly an orchestrator. For any who has studied orchestration you know it is a difficult skill to master, much less be creative with it. He wrote the arrangements for the strings (The Love Unlimited Orchestra) for his early works. People have made whole careers from just orchestrating but Barry also wrote and sang.

I remember when "Love's Theme" was played on every station. Even though I was not feeling "disco," I was able to appreciate what he brought to the table with that cut. "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More" was more to my liking.

What I was really not feeling was how the media at the time tried to pit him up against Isaac Hayes. Yes, they had similar styles but I saw no reason why there could not be two bruthas out there doing their thing.

When Barry first came out I was just a kid but as I grew older I came to really appreciate his genius. He had a brief come back a few years back. His nephew Chcukii Booker produced and wrote a few cuts on his album.

R.I.P. Barry White