Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti would agree that it pushes the 'limits' of musicianship...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=142639&mesg_id=142758
142758, i would agree that it pushes the 'limits' of musicianship...
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Tue Nov-09-10 02:18 PM
it being electronic music...but that being said, i can't say that i've heard too many songs or too many artists that have really transcended the genre conventions. like my fav act is The Chemical Brothers. What I think they've done with their mastery of technology and their knowledge of music is extraordinary. but I also don't think they have really 'created' anything new. like a new means of consuming music or telling or communicating a story with their samplers and what not.

it's good replicating one's idea of what music is, but as far as a holistic approach (at least in the modern or historical sense: live show, collaboration, etc) there hasn't been too many noteworthy acts that really live up to the hype caused by the music.

not to slight the artists (as i listen to my Chemical Brothers station on Pandora), but I just don't see them as more than really geeked out about what they do.

but maybe i don't know music nor especially musicans all that well to determine the true difference between someone who's a 'true' genius who uses a trumpet and someone who uses a sampler.