Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: i dunno, pal. i have some issues with your parallel
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=142639&mesg_id=142746
142746, RE: i dunno, pal. i have some issues with your parallel
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Mar-04-10 11:25 AM
>and that part about certain electronic guys having broader
>artistry than coltrane? you're going to have the name the act
>and the song that backs that HUGE statement up.

It's the medium man. And I didn't say broader artistry I said spectrum of artistry. They have access to a broader sound palate than Trane did. Not all of them play with it in detail the way trane did within his, but many of them do.

>as far as the whole "jazz is the new classical" bit, both
>involve an understanding of notation and composition even by
>untrained musicians who play by ear (but are still in tune/the
>correct key, etc)
>
>i don't know a helluva lot about musical theory, but you can
>put coltrane's music on sheet music to a quartet or whatever
>and they can rock out with it

True and false. They can get a lot of trane's stuff but a lot of the solo work gets lost in the notation. Or put another way, you might be able to notate it, but having someone play the exact same thing based on how it was notated would likely fail.

>can you do the same with aphex twins?

And in that way there's a parallel with the aphex's. You might be able to notate it, but having someone play back based on that notation would likely not be representative of what he initially laid down.

But the point I'm going here goes beyond that to the fact that the theories of notation must/will be modified to accomodate that new specrum of sound which the electronic musicians now have access to. Western theory is in adequate. There's no notation for the opening of an envelope or an oscillating frequency modulator with precise settings. These things are now becoming a normalized part of the musical palate, and notation doesn't suffice. And within that palate the range of creativity is as broad, complex and ingenious as the previous to eras typified by classical and jazz.

>i see where you're going as far as both being primarily
>instrumental music forms, but i don't think they're parallel
>at all

Actually one of my rationales for being able to make this post now is all of the work with voices I'm currently hearing in electronic music.

>just as a side note, how many electronic musicians also play
>'traditional' instruments

More than you think. I just did interviews with four different artists. Three of them had been classically trained on traditional instruments, and all noted that influence in their electronic work.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Heads Up:
Prince "The Gold Experience" Track #12
Avy - http://vanguard.avanturb.com