Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: i used to say this back in the '90s and early '00s.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=142639&mesg_id=142670
142670, RE: i used to say this back in the '90s and early '00s.
Posted by ajiav, Tue Mar-02-10 07:04 PM
>absolutely. where would a kid even get exposed to a group
>like Underground Resistance now a days?

The internet, books, dvds, none of which existed in the early 1990s in a form that was devoted to the history of electronic dance music or techno in particular. Where would a kid get exposed to Underground Resistance in the early 1990s if they didn't have connections to an underground dance scene? Is Underground Resistance not more well-known now than ever?

>>>>i agree, but it's really not that young either if you
>think
>>about it.
>
>no its not that young at all. around 30 years old.

But not developmentally enough for its history to be canonized and popularized to the same extent as say, hip-hop has been. Techno, as one faction, is easily reduced to a story involving a handful of strong personalities but the focus on techno sometimes undermines the larger movement of which it is a part.

It is a developmental milestone for a movement to reach a point wherein an agreed-upon history develops, creating a sense of unity. I'm not sure that electronic music doesn't have too many splinter factions to prevent that kind of unified agreement from taking place. If there are still so many significant differences in interpretation, it suggests that a consensus reality has not yet been reached. In this regard I can understand why it doesn't fit the mold of jazz, wherein there is a clear and pervasive sense of identity.