Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti used to be a huge R. Kelly fan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=13960&mesg_id=14091
14091, i used to be a huge R. Kelly fan
Posted by jvictoria, Fri Aug-01-03 03:00 PM
but i look for different things from R.Kelly than from D'Angelo. Or Dru Hill, Jaheim, name-the-r&b-thug-of-the-moment.

i think R.Kelly has a great work ethic, i think he's grown a lot since he first came out. but really, r.kelly and d are in two different stratospheres.

d'angelo is better for intense love-makin'; even though he's produced sporadically, he's still more consistently complex than R.Kelly has really shown the world he can be.

there's an understated genius in R.Kelly that i think people are blowing up for lack of an alternative. they wanna make him soul man number 1 because he's got decent production and a heap of talent. it's a sad state about what r&b listeners will stand for these days.

his music is great the way a spontaneous fuck is great - it feels really amazing the first time you experience it and over time, in retrospect, you think to yourself..."that could've been a little bit tighter."