Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI'm open to criticism but at least get your facts right
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=139641&mesg_id=139723
139723, I'm open to criticism but at least get your facts right
Posted by OldPro, Fri Sep-24-10 10:16 AM
>When Beyoncé's "Single Ladies" came out you said it was a wrap
>for her career and that the song was horrid. I remember
>reading that and thinking you were crazy. That song was as
>sure a hit as anything.

I never said that. I may have said I don't care for the song but I never said it wasn't going to be a hit and I damn sure ain't crazy enough to think one song would ruin Beyonce Inc.

>You're also a Ryan Leslie fan and we see how that turned out.

Were did I ever say he was going to blow up? See this is the shit I hate most about this board sometimes .... if you say you like something we end up getting back scoreboard comments like this even when you make it clear you're not interested in playing that game. Most anyone knows an act blowing up has to do with a lot of things... the actual music is somewhere about 3rd or 4th on the list.

>Now you're saying "Empire State of Mind" is only a hit because
>of Jay and Alicia. I think it's quite the opposite. You could
>put any rapper in Jay's place and have any singer doing the
>hook and it still would have been a hit.
>
>The beat, the hook and the theme are what make it catchy.

That's your opinion and I nothing I say can change that. First time I heard it I was struck with how simple and plain the whole thing was but we have different ears so....

>- Rockwell's "Watching Me" wouldn't have been a hit if MJ
>wasn't on the hook.

And you say I have bad ears.... I dropped that song at a couple parties before it become common knowledge that MJ was on that track. There were a lot of people trying to sound like MJ back then so it wasn't a given that really was him. I had people coming up and asking me after it played if it was MJ but this was after they already jammed to it on the floor. That song was a hit from jump ... maybe not a #1 without MJ's name but still a hit.

>- Alicia Keys's "No One" and "Like You'll Never See Me Again"

Like You'll Never See Me Again is a better song that Empire but oh well

>- Usher's "Love In This Club"

Let's end this on a note of agreement

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

Latest episode- Something Old, Something New