Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: yes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=137665&mesg_id=137874
137874, RE: yes
Posted by Zarathuckya, Wed Oct-20-10 09:00 PM
Well it sounds like your problem is more to do with racial classifications, you don't like the terms 'white' or 'black' to describe groups of people.

But at the same time I get the feeling that you think that collectivism is a brown persons thing, while sacred and beautiful individualism is a white thing?

Racial classifications gained prominence in short because it was a good way for Europeans to justify the slave trade. And while 'whites' still had (and have) the ability to trace their ethnic origin back to Irish or Scottish or Italian or whatever, Black Americans don't have that luxury, due again to the slave trade.

Due to the shared history / geography / experiences / culture that Black American's have shared with one another over the last 400 odd years, they constitute a legitimate ethnic group.

And the music that individuals and groups within this ethnic group have created is a reflection of their shared history / geography / experiences / culture.

Basically what you don't seem to want to acknowledge is that a shared history / geography / experiences i.e. a culture - has a significant impact on the music created by people of that culture.

The art created by individuals is in many cases influenced by the collective. I know you hate the c word, but that's the truth.

This is where your mountain analogy breaks down. The mountain is an external, inanimate object. A culture while partly outside an individual, also exists within individuals, and it exists between individuals.

Basically, you would not get the same painting had that shared history / geography / experiences / culture not existed.

Black Americans' shared history / geography / experiences / culture has had such a significant impact on their music that it warrants its own classification.

If we followed your reasoning to its logical conclusion then we would have to do away with ALL classifications and definitions of our external environment. We'd have to do away with language, because we'd be unable to draw a line between anything. It would all just be atoms. It would be meaningless.

PS I am a Maori from New Zealand and this is just my humble opinion.

I've never read Ayn Rand but whatever it is I think you need to try some different books as well.