Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectb
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=137665&mesg_id=137861
137861, b
Posted by dafriquan, Wed Oct-20-10 01:13 AM
>
>I recognize the term 'black music'. I think it's problematic
>when you start to analyze it. Also, it makes alot more sense

well almost everything cultural (with the exception of the culture of highly isolated people) becomes problematic upon further analysis. try researching the roots of alot of "western" classical instruments and you'll see how many of them lead you to the east. even something as simple as the neck tie. a staple of the english gentleman dating back to who know when...is actually borrowed from the croatian calvary (balkans). and yet we can all understand what is meant if i were to refer to your outfit as being reminiscent of a victorian English style. it's okay for things to be problematic but it's splitting hairs when people start trying to universalise everything for their own purpose.

>in a western context. I wonder if the term 'black music'
>carries any significance in Ghana or Nigeria?
>
it is clear that we are in discussing it from a western context. it has less signficance in places like ghana and west africa because everybody is more or less black...lol...

when i talk about black music i am mostly referring to music made by black people in america. i'm not one of those people that goes to great lengths to link black american music directly to africa in order to validate its blackness. the black in black music comes from within the diaspora.