Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI'm not so sure about this.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=128764&mesg_id=128862
128862, I'm not so sure about this.....
Posted by Ishwip, Mon Sep-29-08 08:34 AM
>it seems like people are going along with
>these artists as much because of the bass influence as because
>it's a faddish or trendy thing to do (while it's uncool to go
>back... it's always uncool, look at rock and hip-hop, it's
>cool to be up on the new artists, but going digging is not
>widely embraced).

Looking at the people who are up on these wonky cats, wouldn't this crowd be more apt TO dig and know some history......if for nothing else than to name drop and always have the trump card ("yeah, but what do you know about ____ from 98?")?

And on a side thought, when you and some others were poo-pooing Lone, one of ya'll said something to the effect of bigger or louder drums doesn't make an artist more interesting or "better".

Well, why not? Maybe not to you or others with your perspective, but maybe that DOES have more of an affect on how someone else might respond to these newer cats with the more pronounced bass and/or hip-hop influence. We're always arguing about so'n'so's drums being dope or wack, "soft" or beastly.

And something else I'ma throw out........I think folks are overstating the Dilla influence w/ some of these guys (in regards to the drums).

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers. (c) Kno