Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectOk, lemme give it a shot...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=128393&mesg_id=128579
128579, Ok, lemme give it a shot...
Posted by kwez, Mon Jul-13-09 11:33 AM
>>see, jay never could succeed at the same time as his peer group.<<

Highly subjective. What do you mean by succeed? Record sales? Respect? Because Illmatic was just as much of a flop as RD if we use record sales. So that doesn't fly. If we go byu respect, Biggie himself said Jay was the only dude that could fuck with him on the mic.

>>thats why he can get away with lying to his fanbase about RD's classic status<<

I don't think you can honestly sit there and with a traight face say that RD is not classic hiphop record. I can't stand 50 Cent and even I'll tell you that GRODT is a classic record.

>>truth is, Jay is a good, but not a great artist. And he can't accept it.<<

This isn't fact, it's opinion. Millions of fans happen to think he's a great artist. You're the one who can't accept it.

>>he knows he was never on Big and Pac's level and their deaths spawned his success.<<

This logic is pretty idiotic. So because Pac and Big died, Jay was the only hiphop people could gravitate to? Riiiight. And why was Jay the only one to benefit from these deaths?

>>he knows he was never on Nas' level, Jay had to bite Nas' whole style just to bust a grape to gain some ground in the game.<<

And that style would be? Come on Jam, try harder fam.

>>he knows he lacks substance as an artist.<<

Subjective. He's doing him, always has, always will.

>>fortunately for Jay, the Blueprint's beats were the saving grace and most talked about thing on that album. because lyrically it sucked. why? because it was Jay's most "introspective" album.

he knows that he aint no gutter/grimy/hardcore rapper, despite being from Bed-stuy.<<

This is revisionist history at its best. Know why? Coz everyone from Ghost to Kool G Rap have praised that album. I dare say they hold far more weight than anyone in here.

>>he knows his bread and butter and true talent is in the mindless, frivolous, non-substance having party songs.<<

For those that think Hov thing is bling-blingin either haven't heard the album or they don't know English. They only know what the single is and single that out to be the meaning of what he's about. Case closed.

>>And that really eats at him. because all of the so-called greats had songs that made n*ggas think, touched the lives of people, as well as entertain. Jay is just one-dimensional.<<

Snoop is a 'great'. He fails your criteria though. Matter fact, so does Biggie if you're honest. Hell, so does G-Rap.

>>"God, why you bless Nas and not me?"<<

I don't know Jay or Nas like that, and neither do you (so stop pretending you do) But I'd be surprised if Jay would trade places with Nas. By all evidence he's had one hell of a career. A career that we should be at least giving a quiet nod to (like him or not) for the sheer fact that this is a genre that pretty much shits on artists above a specific age.

This is the point at which you can come back with "you're mad" now.

Go.

You must not know bout me, you must not know bout me, to the left, to the left (C) "Killa" Camron