Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectWell, check it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=128393&mesg_id=128513
128513, Well, check it.
Posted by Ketchums, Sun Jul-12-09 12:34 PM
>okay, you think he whines because he critiqued based on his
>"success." if that's the case, and i don't think it is, why is
>that unfair, considering he actively CHASES ***commercial***
>success to bolster his claim for GOATness?

In his eyes, he's probably thinking that his balance makes him a better artist. Nas is praised for his street shit and bashed (typo before, hence the edit) for his beat selection and his inconsistency with singles, while Jay's got better beat selection and more consistent singles, but he's also got a lot of street shit. That's why he says lines like, "Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" He *clearly* makes shit like Streets Is Talking, Streets Is Watching, Threat, NYMP, So Ghetto, or almost the entire American Gangster album just as much as he makes shit like Change Clothes, I Just Wanna Love U, Sunshine, Hard Knock Life, and Money Ain't A Thang. So he's probably pissed that he gets that as a criticism.

His homie Biggie was respected because of his ability to do both, to do shit like Big Poppa *and* shit like Ten Crack Commandments. Pac was respected for being versatile to do a "I Get Around" one moment and a "Brenda's Got A Baby" another. Meanwhile, Jay arguably does both just as efficiently as Biggie and Pac, and he's told he's being too commercial.

It'd probably get frustrating.

>if it was actually about the music for him, he'd worry about
>the MUSIC instead of doing budweiser commercial to hype his
>albums.

Bullshit. If he has opportunities to do ads, why the fuck would he turn that down? While I'll admit that his shit has its fair share of gimmicks - AG had the ties to the movie, and DOA is just as gimmicky as the autotune that he's bashing is - he rarely, IMO, actually makes wack shit in that context. Gimmicks aside, AG is an album about drug dealing, and aside from a song or two, it doesn't have the fun, commercial gloss that he's known for.

>when you content with puttin out glossy shit, you gonna get
>hated on for being glossy. nas been hated on for tryna "kick
>knowledge."
>
>they both chose their paths and only one of them is crying
>about it. that's what's fucking annoying.

lol c'mon fam. Nas' criticism of "kicking knowledge" isn't ANYWHERE as big as Jay's criticism for being "commercial." Nas is criticized mostly for his beats and his inconsistent singles. But either way, Jay's deliberately shown the ability to do both, and his albums normally have that balance. And that's probably why he complains about not getting love for it.