Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti disagree with the first post in a few ways
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=11041&mesg_id=11106
11106, i disagree with the first post in a few ways
Posted by spirit, Thu Dec-18-03 07:47 PM
one, saying jay can't hold a candle to ghost is silly...esp. if you're talking verse for verse...jay has plenty of dope verses, even if i agreed with you (which i don't), i'd only give ghost a slim margin.

ghost has a more passionate delivery and a better voice.

jay has a wider range of flows and is the more consistent "writer" (since ghost has numerous forays into the realm of the unintelligible, it's hard to really compare him with a more straightforward lyricist).

i mean, when ghost can lean on saying filler lines like "heater fajita" (or whatever the hell he said), it becomes unfair to compare him to guys who "stay on the straight and narrow" as far as literal lyricism.

onstage, ghost wins.

album-wise, as far as putting together records that sound great as cohesive wholes, i actually favor ghost even though he has fewer records (mostly b/c jay almost always manages to include something i would leave off...on the black album, for example, i would have jettisoned the hook and sample choice for "justify").

songwriting-wise, ghost's catalog versus jay's, i give it to jay.