Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectare you black? cuz if you was black you would not discount
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=110318&mesg_id=110554
110554, are you black? cuz if you was black you would not discount
Posted by truekolor, Tue Sep-02-08 08:57 PM
a whole genre of music that was the part of the foundation of african american culture but if you black you understand the appeal of gospel music, you aint even gotta believe in God for that my man, and this aint even a yt diss

What do you think slaves were singing while they was getting whipped in the fields? they were sing his eye is on the sparrow, swing low sweet chariot coming forward to carry me home, sometimes i feel like a motherless child...its our history and part of our identity and i repeat EVEN if you dont believe in God, us a black people in america prolly would not be around werent for negro spirituals and gospel music...black people have always used music to survive

so when you disrespect gospel...i feel personally that you are disrespecting me as a black male, not that you meant to..but that what i feel take it or leave it

just picture a group of slaves in the hot sun in the cotton fields singing this:

BEFORE I’D BE A SLAVE (OH, FREEDOM)

Before I’d be a slave
I’d be buried in my grave
And go home to my Lord
And be saved

O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’ over me, over me

O, what mourning…

O, what singing…

O, what shouting…

O, weeping Mary…