Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectsure did.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=109781&mesg_id=109869
109869, sure did.
Posted by Brew, Sun Jun-29-08 10:06 AM
"Axe Puff Daddy" - Biggie

G funk did show up all over the early Bad Boy albums, and "Diddy" or whatever he calls himself these days has said many times that he started his label and decided his musical direction based on production from Death Row and specifically, Dr. Dre. If you can't hear the influence g funk had on early Bad Boy and many early to late 90s hip hop albums.

It doesn't matter if you like Quik better than Dre or not, that doesn't change the fact that his sound in the early 90s was crafted based on many of the same type of samples and musical influences that Dre used. It was the dominant sound in popular and hardcore hip hop, and even the best producers couldn't help but try it out.

Maybe 10 years was too long, but just about from 1991-1999, g funk was a dominant sound in hip hop, you can't deny that influence.

Hip hop has been using that dusty, string loop sound since at least 1993, you're right, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that these producers, whether underground or otherwise, all do this because of Rza's influence.

Trust me, I love Rza, and think he's unbelievable on the boards, my point is just that as far as influence over hip hop is concerned, I don't think his influence was as widespread and lengthy as Dre's has been, whether it was g-funk or Dre's current production style.