Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject^^^^^^
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=109781&mesg_id=109828
109828, ^^^^^^
Posted by Brew, Thu Jun-26-08 09:47 PM
it's well documented that producers will give Dre initial IDEAS for beats and he will run with it and perfect it, and as dood said, bring in musicians to make "samples" sound the way he wants: pace, tone, etc. That is hardly "stealing" beats. If I was 43 and already proved myself, I'd be signing young brothers too to do the initial dirty work so that I could work my magic.

As dood above said, Dre proved himself from 80-whatever the fuck year through the 90s. If he wants to bring in other producers to hand him ideas and run with them, all the power to him. Like I said, I'd do it too if I were his age and didn't care to do the dirty work anymore. If Dre wasn't shit and was just "stealing beats" why would producers as good as the ones he employs keep "handing" them their beats (for example, Just Blaze don't need to do work for Dre to make a name for himself and make loot, he's a Roc A Fella in-house producer, he's making his money, you think he needs Dre's name to blow up? He's already blown up. He's working with Dre cause he knows Dre can make his shit sound crisp as fuck, and because Dre is a legend, with good reason)? Fuck all that noise. Dre is proven, and perfects a beat like no one else.