Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectBargain/Budget Bin drums for the beginner
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=10810&mesg_id=10895
10895, Bargain/Budget Bin drums for the beginner
Posted by MANHOODLUM, Fri Jan-09-04 08:44 AM
I might've overstepped my boundaries by suggesting you dig through shoeboxes of 45's in some wharehouse for hours on end, 'cause even if my son takes a nap in his stroller, I can't pull this off lol

Go to any jazz section in any used record store, and look for these records. Yeah, the drums have been used, but it'll give you a taste of what to start with, and they're comfort zone enough to give you a push.

Grover Washington, Jr. "Feel So Good" - The "Hydra" drums are nice and open. You'll recognize this song from numerous samples. As-a-matter-of-fact, also check his "Soul Box" albums for a couple shiny, Pete Rock-style snares that come crisp, but are light enough to maneuver (Premier snares generally plod and kind've restrict when feeling your way around on your own).

Narada Michael Walden - Jazz/r&b drummer records. During my early days of scouring for records, I picked up some late 70's/early 80's stuff of his for 25 cents each, and I found a number of open, full drum kits that were very easy to work with. Alot of Premier style snares that didn't restrict. Even to this day, I'd work with these drums in a heartbeat. These can be found in any budget soul/jazz bin.

Any early Kool & The Gang, or Ohio Players - These records are ideal, because not only do they have good, open drums to sample, but because they don't really come in prepackage form. Not a ton of obvious "open drum breaks" to choose from. Alot of open snares and kicks are inbetween measures, and are scattered. They will provide you with great drums to work with, ontop of training your ear to listen, scour, and comb songs for hidden drums sounds.

Hope this helps.